Hiking up First (Grindelwald) - how hard is it?

Hiking up First (Grindelwald) - how hard is it?

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
KScholte
KScholte
4 posts
Jul 1, 2018 - 3:01 AM

Hell

I am wondering how long it takes to climb up first. I am hoping to save some money by climbing up so I have some budget left for Flying and Karting down. Is that a realistic option?

Thanks

Arno
Arno
11140 posts
expert &
Jul 1, 2018 - 11:23 AM

Hi KScholte,

I'd count on 3.5 hours to hike from the train station in Grindelwald to First, excluding breaks, so 4 hours is more like a realistic minimum. If you like hiking, are in good physical shape and are willing to make a day out of it then it will work. Mind that it's more than a 1000 m ascend. It would be too much for me, certainly in summer.

Last modified on Jul 1, 2018 - 11:24 AM by Arno
anaporras84
anaporras84
12 posts
Jul 2, 2018 - 1:50 AM

Is there a faster way to get to First and then Bachalpsee lake? The time you mentioned, Arno, is only one way, correct? Is there a cable car one can take on the way back to Grindelwald to get the bus on time? I think last bus ride is at 5pm?

Please advise. Thanks!

Lucas
Lucas
8830 posts
expert &
Jul 2, 2018 - 5:59 AM in reply to anaporras84

Yes, there is a cable car operating from Grindelwald to First.
You can enter First as your destination on the timetable (https://www.myswissalp s.com/timetable) and it will show you schedules to get there from the town you are starting in.

Directions on getting to the hike are noted here: https://www.myswissalp s.com/hiking/bachsee/r oute

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2018