Hiking up First (Grindelwald) – how hard is it?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 July 2018 at 3:01:07 #816994

Hell

I am wondering how long it takes to climb up first. I am hoping to save some money by climbing up so I have some budget left for Flying and Karting down. Is that a realistic option?

Thanks

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    1 July 2018 at 11:23:40 #889853

Hi KScholte,

I’d count on 3.5 hours to hike from the train station in Grindelwald to First, excluding breaks, so 4 hours is more like a realistic minimum. If you like hiking, are in good physical shape and are willing to make a day out of it then it will work. Mind that it’s more than a 1000 m ascend. It would be too much for me, certainly in summer.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 July 2018 at 1:50:27 #889854

Is there a faster way to get to First and then Bachalpsee lake? The time you mentioned, Arno, is only one way, correct? Is there a cable car one can take on the way back to Grindelwald to get the bus on time? I think last bus ride is at 5pm?

Please advise. Thanks!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 July 2018 at 5:59:13 #889855

Yes, there is a cable car operating from Grindelwald to First.
    You can enter First as your destination on the timetable (https://www.myswissalp s.com/timetable) and it will show you schedules to get there from the town you are starting in.

Directions on getting to the hike are noted here: https://www.myswissalp s.com/hiking/bachsee/r oute

• The thread ‘Hiking up First (Grindelwald) – how hard is it?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.