Hiking up to Cardada/Cimetta and Monte Generoso

• Ohman_91
    Participant
    65 posts
    1 March 2022 at 8:45:49 #826586

Hello,

Anyone knows from which towns/valleys/starting points that I can walk all the way up to the peaks of Cardada/Cimetta and Monte Generoso?

As far as I can see, I can walk directly from Locarno up to Cardada/Cimetta. Correct?

But how about Monte Generoso? Which good option do I have there? Been trying to find some good information, but all recommends Bellavista which is already more than half way up. If possible, I would like to hike all the way from the bottom to the top.

Thanks in advance!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    1 March 2022 at 13:33:41 #939097

Hi Ohman91,

A shorter but steep and difficult path to Monte Generoso starts from the bus stop “Rovio, Paese”. A longer easier one from the train station of Mendrisio. Also you can start in Muggio (bus stop “Muggio, Fontane” for example). The bus ride to Muggio is quite nice so I’ve heard. I’ve personally only been to Monte Generoso by train from Capolago-Riva S. Vitale.

More details here: http://www.myswissalps.com/montegeneroso

Yes, you can hike from Locarno to Cimetta. That is quite a hike but if you’re an experienced alpine hiker it should be doable. You’ll first pass the Madonna del Sasso church.

Anna
    6382 posts
    1 March 2022 at 14:15:19 #939098

Hi Ohman,

If you plan to hike all the way up Cardada, this route could be an option: From Locarno walk up to the Madonna del Sasso church, then continue to Orselina. Here you can either take the suspended cable car or hike up to Cardada. From Cardada you can take a chair-lift up to Cimetta.

More information about Cardada-Cimetta here: http://www.myswissalps.com/cardada/gettingthere (scroll down to the bottom of the page for Cardada’s website)

I’m not sure you can hike all the way up to Monte Generoso (it’s roughly 1,700m above sea level). Most people just take the cogwheel train up the top station. Then you can just follow the trail leading to the peak. There’s a panoramic trail near the top station which goes in a loop (about 8km). Or you can hike downhill from the Bellavista station to the middle station or uphill to the summit.

More information about Monte Generoso here: http://www.myswissalps.com/montegeneroso/gettingthere The link to the official website with information on hiking trails is here.

I hope this would help you in planning your trip.

Regards,

Anna

• The thread ‘Hiking up to Cardada/Cimetta and Monte Generoso’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.