Switzerland trip: light hiking & popular mountains

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 August 2017 at 16:56:37 #812974

We are planning to visit Mt Rigi, Mt Pilatus , Mt Titlus from Lucrene. Want to go to Jungfrau as well.

1. What hiking options do I have for Mt Rigi – Easy to Moderate Hiking

2. What Hiking options do I have in Mt Pilatus – easy to moderate hiking

3. is it better to stay in Interlaken or Grindelwald to do visit Jungfrau (top of Europe) and for easy to moderate hiking ? or a day trip form Lucerne

4. What kind of hiking shoes should we bring and winter coats ?

5. is Tell pass better for this trip or Swiss Pass

Any help on this topic would be greatly appreciated . Thank you very much !

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 August 2017 at 13:14:52 #868396

Hi NJfam and welcome to MySwissAlps!

• You can read about activities, and find links to the mountain’s website on our following web pages: Mt. Titlis, Mt. Pilatus and Mt. Rigi.
    • Lucerne to Jungfraujoch is about 4 hours one-way on the train(s). I would recommend staying in Interlaken, Grindelwald, or Lauterbrunnen.
    • To help plan out your trips on the Swiss rail system, use the timetable here.
    • When are you traveling to Switzerland? Hiking shoes are a good idea, but if you are doing easy/moderate hiking, running shoes may be sufficient in the summer time. In the summer months you can expect the weather on the mountains to vary from maybe -5 Celsius to +15 – see our page on weather here.

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 August 2017 at 14:32:35 #868397

Thank you very much Lucas. We are travelling 3rd week of September for full 6 days . we will arrive Lucerne around 11 am. any suggestions to do that day – can we do the Rhine falls that day ?

one more question sorry – is it possible to do Rhine falls and Mt Pilatus in one day ?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 August 2017 at 14:47:38 #868398

This is our plan :

day 1 arrive into Lucerne. Arriving into Lucerne around 11am/12 is it possible to go to Mt Titlus ?

day 2 Visit Mt Rigi and Mt Pilatus . Would like to do both mountains in 1 day – is that possible . Would like to hike for 1hr / 2hr in Mt Rigi and if possible in Mt Piltaus too.

day 3 Interlaken – Visit and Hike in Schynige Platte

day 4 Interlaken – Visit Oeshinensee.

day 5 Visit Jungfrau Mt

Day 6 – maybe go to Zurich and see the Rheine Falls and fly out the next day from Zurich

Thank you please kindly advice.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 August 2017 at 7:12:47 #868399

Hi NJfam,

Day 1: yes, Titlis isn’t a problem but I would go fairly quickly after arrival.
    Day 2: Yes, but probably not with hiking too much on both mountains. Use the timetable here to plan your trips – if you limit yourself to under 2 hours at the top you could do it but it will be a long day.

Everything else looks good from here! I would keep days 3, 4 and 5 flexible. If the weather looks best on day 4, for example, I would go to Jungfraujoch then.

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 August 2017 at 22:45:15 #868400

Thank you Lucas! This is our plan now : we arrive Lucerne on September 17

Based on the weather we will move things around for site seeing

day 1 arrive maybe fit in MtPilatus

day 2 visit Mt Titlus. Do one of the short hike in engelberg

day 3 visit Mt Rigi

day 4 stay in Grindelwald visit jungfrau

day 5 Grindelwald go to Kandersteg

day 6 hike spittle in Grindelwald area. Go to Zurich, see Rhine falls

Might be better to get the Swiss pass I think for us. What do you think based on our iternary . All traveling by train.

this forum is great tool, thank you very much !

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 August 2017 at 6:08:13 #868401

Yes, I think the Swiss Travel Pass is a great option for your itinerary.

Have a great trip!

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 August 2017 at 1:06:15 #868402

Hi Lucas. One more question. The train in grindelwald closes st 7pm. We end up being late what do we do. Do we have to take taxi from Interlaken ? How much would that cost us ? Thanks

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 August 2017 at 6:25:21 #868403

The last train from Interlaken to Grindelwald departs at 22:05. There is also a bus that departs at 23:05. You can find details for this using the railway timetable link I posted earlier to plan your trips.

You are thinking of one of the cable car stations in Grindelwald I think?
    Grindelwald Grund and Grindelwald BGF- They shut down by 7pm yes.

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 August 2017 at 0:13:25 #868404

Thank you all for your responses much appreciated. One more question on half fare card. Will I be able to use this card in the places I have mentioned above

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 August 2017 at 6:16:59 #868405

The Swiss Half Fare Card is valid for almost every route in Switzerland.

You can find a list of major attractions as well as a PDF map to review, here.

Lucas

• The thread ‘Switzerland trip: light hiking & popular mountains’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11020 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.