Hiking – Wengen to Männlichen and Kleine Scheidegg

• Sunset
    Participant
    76 posts
    8 May 2023 at 4:52:07 #829792

Hello dear group, hope all of you are well.

Wanted to ask how long is the hike from Wengen to Mannlichen? And from Wengen to Kleine Scheidige?

And how difficult are they? Do you recommend them?

Thank you very much to you all!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Danielsan
    Participant
    634 posts
    8 May 2023 at 10:39:35 #954211

Hi Sunset,

There are many ways/routes to hike from Wengen up to Mannlichen. However, if you mean to hike from Mannlichen to Kleine Scheidegg, it’s about an hour and a half, depending on stops for pics and such. The best part about that trail is that the Eiger is in front of you the whole time, with the Monch and Jungfrau as well as you near Kleine Scheidegg. To walk/hike from Wengen to Kleine Scheidegg is in the vicinity of two hours, again, depending on photo ops and such. I’m not sure when you’re planning to go, but the higher elevations ( I E, Mannlichen to Kleine Scheidegg) may not be open until the end of June, depending on the thaw. The local tourist bureau should be able to guide you on that. In Wengen, it’s located adjacent to the cable car station to Mannlichen in the center of town.

If you’re planning on hiking to Mannlichen from Wengen, it is a couple thousand feet, uphill. Doable, but I’m not quite sure if that’s your intention. (Bring walking sticks/poles.) At any rate, I hope you have a great trip. Enjoy.

Regards,

Danielsan

Anna
    6355 posts
    8 May 2023 at 12:11:23 #954212

Hi Sunset,

You can take a cable car from Wengen to Männlichen. This would be much easier than climbing up. Info about the cable car here: http://www.myswissalps.com/mannlichen/gettingthere

From Männlichen you can follow the panorama trail to Kleine Scheidegg. This trail is fairly easy and popular with families with children. You can find details about the trail here: http://www.myswissalps.com/hiking/maennlichen-kleinescheidegg. From Kleine Scheidegg you can take a train down to Wengen.

Regards,

Anna

Mark
    Participant
    803 posts
    8 May 2023 at 12:23:34 #954213

Hi Sunset

there are 2 direct hiking routes from Wengen to Mannlichen and both are steep with lots of switchbacks. Total elevation change is about 3000 feet of climbing and not particularly scenic. The cable car is a better option. When hiking from KS to Wengen or the reverse, the short leg from KS to Wengernalp is quite scenic but the longer leg from Wengernalp to Wengen is mostly in trees and not scenic until you get almost to the Wengen train station. You can find much better hiking options than these.

Mannlichen to KS is very scenic, short, and relatively easy. It can be crowded but is easily extended to other nearby trails.

Mark

Sunset
    Participant
    76 posts
    8 May 2023 at 12:42:39 #954214

Thank you so much all for all the helpful information.

Sunset
    Participant
    76 posts
    8 May 2023 at 12:45:53 #954215

How about hiking Schynige Platte? How long is it? Is it scenic? How difficult is it? Can i do it from Wengen? I really would like scenic hiking routes especially ones with lakes, mountains, as no wild flowers, cows, villages, etc…

Thank you sooo much for all the information.

Danielsan
    Participant
    634 posts
    8 May 2023 at 16:42:29 #954216

Hi Sunset,

Schynige Platte is a great place for all you just mentioned. However I believe it opens this year at the end of June. (See photo attached.) Hopefully you can make that. Don’t worry about any flowers if you go, as there is a vast area there to explore. Many hikes available, including one that even goes right down into Grindelwald. I hope you can make that trip. (It’s on my list of places to go in September.) Again, hoping you have a great one.

Regards,

Danielsan

Anna1
    Participant
    45 posts
    8 May 2023 at 18:07:20 #954217

Hi all will the hike from Mannlichen to Kliene Schedegg be open around 6th or 7th of June?

I am not seeing that information when it will be open this year?

Anna
    6355 posts
    8 May 2023 at 21:17:48 #954218

Hi Anna1,

The gondola service between Grindelwald Terminal and Männlichen and the cable car service between Wengen and Männilchen are set to resume operation on 27 May. If the weather is good, the panorama trail from Männlichen to Kleine Scheidegg should be safe for by then. You can check the current status of the trail from the official website. You can find the link here (scroll to the bottom of the page): http://www.myswissalps.com/mannlichen/tickets

Regards,

Anna

Mark
    Participant
    803 posts
    9 May 2023 at 0:26:38 #954219

Hi Anna

I don’t think the trail from Mannlichen to KS actually closes but it is impassable due to snow and ice in the springtime. I believe it usually is passable in early to mid June but it varies from year to year depending on the weather.

Train service to Schynige Platte I believe starts July 1. The Panaramaweg trail is Spectacular and a loop from the SP station along the Panaramaweg trail and return down the center of the plateau takes about 2-2.5 hours and is fairly flat. SP to First by way of the Panaramaweg trail is iconic. We did it this past September and it takes about 6-7 hrs. Approximately 3000 ft elevation change(mostly at Faulhorn) and a difficult but rewarding experience.

Mark

• The thread ‘Hiking – Wengen to Männlichen and Kleine Scheidegg’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.