Home base Wengen – Swiss 1/2 fare card worth it?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 June 2018 at 15:56:29 #816922

Hi, Ive been trying to figure this out for over a month and still not sure. Hope you can shed some light on this. Taking the train from Frankfurt to Heidelberg for 2 nights, then to Lucerne for the day, only there for maybe 4 hours so possibly a Rigi trip, but def the Lake Lucerne Boat ride, then through Interlaken to Wengen for 3 nights, only 2 full days. Then train to the Cinque Terre, for 3 nights,

Florence for 3 nights. A few questions:

Do I get a Eurail pass for 3 countries, Germany, Switzerland, Italy? My other option is travel point to point from Germany to the border of Switzerland, use a half fare card whilst in Switzerland and to the border of Italy and then point to point in Italy.

My travel days are :

1- Frankfurt to Heidelberg – ( Eurail pass needed ) hang out in city, dont think i will need any train travel here

2- Heidelberg to Lucerne – Interlaken -Wengen – ( Eurail pass good only to Interlaken? ) We expect to take local transportation( bus?) and some cable cars, prob NOT do Jungfrau, but maybe some of the less expensive excursions like Niederhorn or Schilthorn, mostly just exploring and hiking around the Bernese Oberland area, possibly going up one of the mountains to see good views, taking cable cars and trains, local bus between the Villages, lauterbrunnen, etc

3. Wengen – Interlaken – Montreosso Italy – will be taking the train and or bus between some villages and

4. Monterosso Italy – Florence – by Train – ( eurail pass needed here)

5. Florence exploring – not sure if a rail pass is valuable here – will likely do Tuscany bike ride, wine tasting excursion

6. Transportation to airport – Eurail pass needed here?

Know this is a lot of info, my gut is to at least get one type of pass, but the Eurail isn’t good in the Bernese overland form what i have read…and then is the half fare card worth it if we don’t have exact activities planned that would make it worth it?

Any advice is welcome, Thank you,

Jen

• The thread ‘Home base Wengen – Swiss 1/2 fare card worth it?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.