Honeymoon trip to Switzerland in July (16 Days)

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 March 2018 at 9:30:48 #814766

Hello all from Hong Kong!

My wife and I would travel to Switzerland for 16 days as our honeymoon trip in early July; we would much appreciate anyone who could help us with our tentative itinerary.

To give you some background information and share some confirmed plans,

1.Flights – Transit via Munich, Zurich IN and Genève OUT

2.Accommodations – Confirmed in 4 cities: Luzern (4 nights), Grindelwald (6 nights), Zermatt (3 nights) and Genève (2 nights), total 15 nights

3.Swiss Travel Pass: 15 days continuous

Here are some of our thoughts and plans we would love to explore this beautiful country as below so far:-

DAY 1: Zurich <> Rheinfall and Schaffhausen > Luzern

Early arrive Zurich at around 9am, plan to store our luggage at the airport locker then head north to start a day trip at Rheinfall and Schaffhausen. Return to airport at night to get back the luggage and take train to Luzern to check in.

DAY 2 to 4: Luzern

Depends on the weather to swap the plans below,

(1 Day) The Pilatus – Golden Round Trip

(Luzern>Alpnachstad>Pilatus>Fräkmüntegg>Kriens>Luzern)

Toboggan Run at Fräkmüntegg

(1 Day) Enjoy the City surroudings (Kapellbrücke, Löwendenkmal)

(1 Day) The Titlis (Luzern<>Engelberg<>Trubsee<>Stand<>Titlis)

DAY 5:Luzern > Grindelwald

Enjoy the surroundings

DAY 6 to 10: Grindelwald

Depends on the weather to swap the plans below,

(1 Day) Jungfrau

(1/2 or 1 Day) The First (First Cliff Walk, Mountain Cart, First Flyer and Trottibike)

(1 Day)Wengen, Murren, Lauterbrunnen

(1 Day)Interlaken

(1 Day)Buffer for Jungfrau, maybe to Bern?

DAY 11: Grindelwald > Zermatt

Enjoy the surroundings

DAY 12 & 13: Zermatt

(1 Day) Gornergrat (Matterhorn)

(1 Day)Lake Stellisee (Hiking, picnic)

DAY 14: Zermatt > Genève

Enjoy the City

DAY 15: Lausanne? Montreux/ Vevey?

DAY 16:1/2 Day City walk, night flight departing from Genève

That’s all for the plan so far. Appreciate for your help to comment and make adjustment so let it not to be too hectic but still can be fully utilized. Thank you.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 March 2018 at 12:29:46 #878790

Hi BillyHo and welcome to MySwissAlps!

A very nice looking trip plan so far! Good to build in some buffer days for weather as well.

A few quick comments for you:

Lucerne

Grindelwald area

Geneva area

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 March 2018 at 14:17:38 #878791

Thank you Lucas!

For Lucerne, we definitely will go try the boat cruise at Lake Lucerne and I think the Golden Round Trip from Lucerne to Alpnachstad journey can do it by one of these boat cruises.

I will start to do some little research on the suggested areas in Grindelwald and Montreux first but boat cruise is always welcomed because all costs are covered by Swiss Pass already (lol)

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    14 March 2018 at 14:51:10 #878792

Hi BillyHo-

As Lucas noted, it is good that you include some slack time to allow for weather issues. And, once you are there, you will likely see some options that you had not thought of before you traveled.

There are many things to do almost anywhere in Switzerland that are a modest train ride away from wherever you are., so you can use your choices as a base and go to a region with better weather most days. Happens a lot in Switzerland. The weather tends to vary from region to region.

I’d like to add a few more comments, but I’m uncertain about your interests. Any hiking? Museums? Shopping? Fine restaurants? Special scenic trains? Old towns?

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 March 2018 at 15:28:14 #878793

Thank you Slowpoke.

Prefer to try something totally different from busy citylife.

Hiking and enjoy spectacular natural scenery and Alpine attractions are definitely the focus. Sure, would like to try some yummy rosti and other good restaurant as well.

Mark
    Participant
    803 posts
    15 March 2018 at 0:20:13 #878794

Hi BillyHo

while at First you May consider adding a short but beautiful hike to Bachalpsee and back to First. The trottibikes are fun too. Perhaps the most recommend hike in the area is from Männlichen to Kleine Scheidegg. The reason is it’s view of the Eiger, Mönch, and Jungfrau peaks. It takes about 1:30 hrs. If you want a little more challenge you might consider the Eiger trail from Eigergletcher to Alpiglen, rated 2:50 hrs. Last in my opinion the most spectacular views of all are along the cliff walk ( panaramaweg )at Schynige Platte. Here you have views of Männlichen, Eiger, Mönch, Jungfrau, Lauderbrunnen valley, Brienzersee, and Thunersee. Rated 2:30 hrs for whole loop but fairly flat and easy. Mark

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 March 2018 at 3:07:12 #878795

Thank you Mark.

Considering we are only amateurs in hiking and can best fit in the plan at First, having a visit to Bachalpsee sounds great upon the arrival at First in the morning.

I will keep the trail from Männlichen to Kleine Scheidegg and others in mind too if the weather and time allow us. Thank you for your information indeed.

• The thread ‘Honeymoon trip to Switzerland in July (16 Days)’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.