Hoping to identify Swiss castle in painting!

Hoping to identify Swiss castle in painting!

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
Willrain
Willrain
5 posts
Jul 13, 2018 - 2:31 PM

My family inherited 2paintings from our Swiss ancestors. I have identified the location of one of the subjects but have no been able to identify the castle in the painting. The mountains in the background may be the Bernese Alps. Any help would be appreciated!!!

Please login to see the attached documents
Arno
Arno
11186 posts
expert &
Jul 14, 2018 - 10:09 AM

Welcome to MySwissAlps Willrain!

There are lots of castles in Switzerland (e.g. in Thun, Sion, Bellinzona) but no castle comes to mind on a rock that high and so close to a river. It might be an artist's impression, or a castle I simple don't know. I hope someone else can help you out.

Willrain
Willrain
5 posts
Jul 14, 2018 - 6:20 PM in reply to Arno

Thank you, Arno!

Slowpoke
Slowpoke
5013 posts
expert
Jul 14, 2018 - 6:29 PM in reply to Willrain
Willrain
Willrain
5 posts
Jul 14, 2018 - 9:26 PM in reply to Slowpoke

Thank you! I have looked at most of the pics available - some are missing. Thank you for sharing.i will continue looking on this site- very informative!

rockoyster
rockoyster
3931 posts
expert
Jul 15, 2018 - 3:09 AM in reply to Willrain

As Arno suggests the painting is fairly stylized (impressionistic) but how about at Sion (see picture at www.alamy.com/stock-photo-view-to-sion-with-vineyards-and-castles-switzerland-valais-sion-58146021.html)?

There are castles on top of rocky outcrops AND the River Rhone runs through there.

Last modified on Jul 15, 2018 - 3:13 AM by rockoyster
Slowpoke
Slowpoke
5013 posts
expert
Jul 15, 2018 - 8:13 AM in reply to rockoyster

Hi Rockouyster-

Your artistic vision is extraordinary. You might well have found the model.

Slowpoke

rockoyster
rockoyster
3931 posts
expert
Jul 15, 2018 - 8:28 AM in reply to Slowpoke

Hi Slowpoke,

I just did a Google Images search of castles, switzerland and that picture of Sion (where I have never been) popped up. Just got lucky - maybe. 🤓

spaulus69
spaulus69
38 posts
Jul 15, 2018 - 12:54 PM

When I first saw the picture, I think it looks similar to Marksburg on the Rhein River near Braubach.

Slowpoke
Slowpoke
5013 posts
expert
Jul 15, 2018 - 2:24 PM in reply to spaulus69

<<"When I first saw the picture, I think it looks similar to Marksburg on the Rhein River near Braubach.">>

Could well be. If someone showed me a picture of a castle without a Swiss flag over a river, the first place I'd look is along the Rhein in Germany. There aren't a lot of places in Switzerland that match that picture........Sion has a river, but it is not close, and the artist would have to take a bit of "creative liberty" for that one.

It would only take a bit more creativity to move a German castle to Switzerland. ;-)

Slowpoke

Willrain
Willrain
5 posts
Jul 15, 2018 - 6:36 PM in reply to rockoyster

Thank you!! I felt like the Sion option was the closest I have found- especially the rock foundations. I had not considered the artistic vision/ interpretation of the artist- y’all are right on about that option. I feel like the Tourbillon Castle might be the most accurate. I really appreciate all of the guidance!! Thank you!!!

Willrain
Willrain
5 posts
Jul 15, 2018 - 6:46 PM

Also- I looked at a castle in Germany that really looks like the one in the painting - Rheinstein Castle. I just couldn’t figure out the mountain range depicted in the painting as it relates the the horizon of the Rheinstein!

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2018