Lucerne hotels: Des Balances or Art Deco Montana?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 August 2019 at 10:10:59 #823290

Looking for feedback on Hotel des Balances or Art Deco Hotel Montana.

We would like to have beautiful views of the lake (feel like we’re on a lake vacation more than a city vacation). BUT I would also like to be able to get around Lucerne easily. If we stay at Art Deco Hotel Montana is it very hard to get into Old Town/access train stations? We will have a toddler with us so I would like to be able to get places relatively easy. It’s my understanding that Hotel des Balances is in a great location but doesn’t have great views.

If you were me, which hotel would you stay in?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

JaneEB
    Participant
    219 posts
    7 August 2019 at 15:09:18 #919564

Hi Anew

We stayed at the Hotel Des Alpes in Lucerne in June. The hotel is nearer to Lake Lucerne than Hotel Des Balances, but we could not see it. We had a view from our room of the river and Chapel Bridge. We had the last room with a river view and we booked months in advance. Both hotels you mention do not have a view of the lake. You have chosen hotels in the centre of the town. Hotel Des Balances would have a view of the river and buildings if there is a riverview room available at short notice. It is easy to get to the Old Town and the Railway Station on foot from either hotel. You will feel you are on a city vacation.

I always check on Google Maps to find location, walking routes and distances before booking any hotel as it gives an idea of what to expect. I suggest you do the same.

Jane

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 August 2019 at 15:26:10 #919565

Hi Jane – I’m a little confused. I’ve been looking at the Art Deco Hotel Montana & reviews for most of the day & everything is saying there are views of Lake Lucerne (some saying it has the best views of Lake Lucerne). I understand Hotel des Balances wouldn’t have the views but I’m a little confused about Art Deco. Can you please confirm that you’re saying the Art Deco Hotel Montana doesn’t have views of the lake???

JaneEB
    Participant
    219 posts
    7 August 2019 at 19:52:18 #919566

Hi Anew

Having visited Lucerne I would not class staying at the Art Deco Montana a lake vacation as it is a fair way away from the lake. It does have views of the lake and mountains from its elevated position above the town. We would not consider it because it was too far away from the cafes/restaurants on the waterfront. There are hotels on the waterfront that are not that much more expensive than staying in a lake view room at the Art Deco Montana that I would consider to be classified as a ‘lake vacation’.

We loved the view of the mountains, river and Chapel Bridge from our balcony at the Hotel Des Alpes.

Jane

• The thread ‘Lucerne hotels: Des Balances or Art Deco Montana?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11030 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.