Hotel in Switzerland during Pentecost weekend 2018

• R2go
    Participant
    9 posts
    21 January 2018 at 23:12:47 #814107

Are we going to have problems making last minute hotel reservations (or changes) during the Pentecost weekend? Is it true that many places are closed for the holiday? Will this include shops and restaurants?

On 20 May, 2018, we’re planning to travel from Bern to Zermatt. But if the weather is bad, we’ll go to the Lauterbrunnen area first and hope that the weather clears for a trip to Zermatt. After visiting both, we’ll take the Glacier Express to either Chur or St. Moritz. An earlier answer posted on the Forum said that the Grindelwald–Männlichen Gondola Cableway may operate 19-21 May (subject to weather) but our priority is to go to Zermatt if the weather is clear.

Or is it better to go to Zurich and take the Glacier Express (toward Zermatt) during the Pentecost weekend to avoid the holiday?

Thank you.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    22 January 2018 at 4:45:36 #874887

Hello Rjt2go and Welcome to MySwissAlps,

I wouldn’t leave hotel booking until the last minute.

You may not know what the weather will do until 24 hours out and you need to make reservations on the Glacier Express well before that.

If you go to Zermatt consider going via Kandersteg. You will then travel on the Regio-Express Lötschberger train over the traditional, more than 100 year old mountain route, giving you a wonderful view along the impressive peaks and down into the Rhone Valley. It takes about 1 hour longer than the more direct train which goes through a long tunnel.

How do these few days fit in with your overall visit to Switzerland? When and where are you arriving/departing Switzerland?

R2go
    Participant
    9 posts
    22 January 2018 at 16:07:15 #874888

Thank you for the great suggestions about travel. We will be arriving in Switzerland from Frankfurt (probably via high speed train) on 20 May and plan to leave for Venice on 24 May. We’re trying to figure out whether it’s better to to take the Glacier Express at the beginning or end of our time in Switzerland to avoid the Pentecost weekend. Many travel books say that many things are closed over this weekend.

We’re not interested in big cities and want to focus on the scenery in Switzerland and the Alps. Zermatt is our first priority and the Lauterbrunnen area is second. This is our first trip to Switzerland.

Is it better to be on the Glacier Express during the Pentecost weekend? Is this a major holiday where many stores and restaurants close? And will Zermatt and Lauterbrunnen be more crowded.?

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    22 January 2018 at 20:08:45 #874889

Zermatt is in Valais which I understand does not list Pentecost Monday as a holiday. A local may chime in to confirm.

From Frankfurt you can reach Zermatt in a day. Depending on what time you leave.

Perhaps 2 nights there then to Chur via GEX for a night. Then to Lugano via Bernina Express (train and bus) for one night (http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/tips-about-wengen-and-the-jungfrau-region-by-kim). Then on to Venice.

It’s a lot of train work but you’ll some magnificent scenery. BEX is better than GEX (personal opinion only).

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 January 2018 at 20:43:07 #874890

Hi Rjt2go,

On Sunday’s shops are closed anyway. Museums could be closed on Whit Sunday but should be open again on Whit Monday. Restaurants will be open.

It’s not a major holiday, but for sure it will be more crowded at some places when the weather is nice and people go out. But I don’t know what you would consider as being crowded. I’ve been living in Switzerland for almost 10 years now and I’ve never been to a place which was too crowded.

Trains, buses and cable cars will operate (perhaps less frequently), so any outdoor highlight can be visited. Please refer to the Swiss timetable.

Pentecost or not mid May is quiet in the higher mountain resorts such as Zermatt anyway, because the ski season has ended but the summer season has not started. Quite a few hotels and restaurants will be closed.

I would look at how the Glacier Express fits in with your overall visit to Switzerland. Regardless of Pentecost.

, book the Glacier Express the way it fits best in your overall visit.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 January 2018 at 20:50:41 #874891

Hi rockoyster,

It is actually considered as being a holiday. Companies, schools and most shops will be closed.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    22 January 2018 at 21:36:28 #874892

Thanks Chantal. I now realise I was in Brig that Sunday last year and didn’t even notice it was a holiday weekend. Sure there were plenty of people about but I just assumed it was because the weather was warm. 😎

• The thread ‘Hotel in Switzerland during Pentecost weekend 2018’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.