Hotel Silberhorn or Wengener Hof for Jungfrau trip

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 November 2018 at 11:45:16 #818988

Initially when I first posted in these forums I was planning an Italy/Switzerland vacation. After much research, I have now decided that my 25 year old daughter and myself will make this a Switzerland only trip.

We are flying from the Washington, D.C. area with our trip dates June 23-July 3 (maybe July 4 or 5). It seems that I can’t beat booking an air land package as the airfare alone is quite expensive. Yesterday, I found what I felt was a really good deal with a British Airways air/land package. $3,820 for two round trip tickets Washington, D.C./Zurich.

4 nights in Lucerne at the Ameron Hotel Flora and then 5 nights at either Hotel Silberhorn or Hotel Wengener Hof. We chose these two locations to use as bases as we want to a good deal of exploring/day trips. I know it is recommended that while in the Bernese Oberland area, we should choose Wengen over Lauterbrunen as it is more peaceful, car free, higher altitude, longer/daylight/sun. However, I am wondering if Lauterbrunen would be better for us.

Because these two hotels do not have kitchens in rooms like an apartment would and we want to eat as cheaply as possible, we will need more budget friendly cafe type dining options. Also, as we will be using train/cable car/gondola daily to explore all areas around Lauterbrunnen hoping to visit The Schilthorn, Jungfraujoch, Mannlichen-Kleine Scheidegg hike, Panoramaweg First, Swiss Open-Air Museum by boat on Lake Brienz and Thun Castles.

So…which if these two hotels would be the wiser choice? Many thanks!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 November 2018 at 17:05:07 #899320

Hi one4islands,

Both the Hotel Silberhorn and Hotel Wengener Hof are fine choices- the Wengener Hof is generally considered a 4 star as opposed to the 3 star Silberhorn. I’ve heard good things about both so it comes down to any price difference and location.

You shouldn’t have any issues finding restaurants and cafes to eat in in Wengen when needed. I can’t say there are more restaurants in Lauterbrunnen that will fit your budget, but perhaps.

Staying in Wengen adds about 15 minutes to trips if going via Lauterbrunnen (Schilthorn, Lake Brienz and Thun trips). Whether that is a no-go for you is a personal call. I know here on the forum almost everyone prefers Wengen regardless. It is also a good/better location for your other noted trips. http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

StevefromHou
    Participant
    148 posts
    20 November 2018 at 19:20:34 #899321

one4islands,

I stayed at Hotel Wengener Hof in Feb 2016…I loved it and when I go back Wengen this would be my first choice for hotel.

kim11
    Participant
    606 posts
    21 November 2018 at 2:58:56 #899322

Does your package deal include Half Board at the Silberhorn or WengenerHof? If so then both breakfast and lunch will be included.

You can find very good picnic lunches or dinners with supplies from Coop and/or the bakery in Wengen. There are more choices in Wengen than in Lauterbrunnen.

I, too, would pick Wengener Hof due to the amazing “mouth of valley” location

• The thread ‘Hotel Silberhorn or Wengener Hof for Jungfrau trip’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.