About us | Contact | n%2Fa | n%2Fa
Home Get in touch Forum Hotel Silberhorn or Wengener Hof for Jungfrau trip
MySwissAlps features commercial and non-commercial links.

Hotel Silberhorn or Wengener Hof for Jungfrau trip

Print this page
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
one4islands
one4islands
11 posts
Nov 20, 2018 - 11:45 AM

Initially when I first posted in these forums I was planning an Italy/Switzerland vacation. After much research, I have now decided that my 25 year old daughter and myself will make this a Switzerland only trip.

We are flying from the Washington, D.C. area with our trip dates June 23-July 3 (maybe July 4 or 5). It seems that I can't beat booking an air land package as the airfare alone is quite expensive. Yesterday, I found what I felt was a really good deal with a British Airways air/land package. $3,820 for two round trip tickets Washington, D.C./Zurich.

4 nights in Lucerne at the Ameron Hotel Flora and then 5 nights at either Hotel Silberhorn or Hotel Wengener Hof. We chose these two locations to use as bases as we want to a good deal of exploring/day trips. I know it is recommended that while in the Bernese Oberland area, we should choose Wengen over Lauterbrunen as it is more peaceful, car free, higher altitude, longer/daylight/sun. However, I am wondering if Lauterbrunen would be better for us.

Because these two hotels do not have kitchens in rooms like an apartment would and we want to eat as cheaply as possible, we will need more budget friendly cafe type dining options. Also, as we will be using train/cable car/gondola daily to explore all areas around Lauterbrunnen hoping to visit The Schilthorn, Jungfraujoch, Mannlichen-Kleine Scheidegg hike, Panoramaweg First, Swiss Open-Air Museum by boat on Lake Brienz and Thun Castles.

So...which if these two hotels would be the wiser choice? Many thanks!

Last modified on Nov 20, 2018 - 4:52 PM by Lucas
Lucas
Lucas
10495 posts
top member
Nov 20, 2018 - 5:05 PM in reply to one4islands

Hi one4islands,

Both the Hotel Silberhorn and Hotel Wengener Hof are fine choices- the Wengener Hof is generally considered a 4 star as opposed to the 3 star Silberhorn. I've heard good things about both so it comes down to any price difference and location.

You shouldn't have any issues finding restaurants and cafes to eat in in Wengen when needed. I can't say there are more restaurants in Lauterbrunnen that will fit your budget, but perhaps.

Staying in Wengen adds about 15 minutes to trips if going via Lauterbrunnen (Schilthorn, Lake Brienz and Thun trips). Whether that is a no-go for you is a personal call. I know here on the forum almost everyone prefers Wengen regardless. It is also a good/better location for your other noted trips. www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

spaulus69
spaulus69
105 posts
Nov 20, 2018 - 7:20 PM

one4islands,

I stayed at Hotel Wengener Hof in Feb 2016...I loved it and when I go back Wengen this would be my first choice for hotel.

kim11
kim11
531 posts
top member
Nov 21, 2018 - 2:58 AM

Does your package deal include Half Board at the Silberhorn or WengenerHof? If so then both breakfast and lunch will be included.

You can find very good picnic lunches or dinners with supplies from Coop and/or the bakery in Wengen. There are more choices in Wengen than in Lauterbrunnen.

I, too, would pick Wengener Hof due to the amazing "mouth of valley" location

SWISS TRAVEL MUST KNOWS

All you need to know about traveling by train, bus or car in Switzerland.

More

NEED SOME TIPS ON WHERE TO SLEEP?

Hand picked Swiss hotels and other accommodations are right here.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2021