Hotels & birthday restaurant idea in Lucerne

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 July 2018 at 14:54:43 #817317

Good Day! We will be arriving on Sept.5 (my birthday 🙂 ) into Lucerne by boat as part of the Gotthard Panorama Express, having started in Lugano that morning. I’m looking for advise on a lovely hotel near the boat landing or a hotel that offers complimentary shuttle service at the dock. We also plan on enjoying a special dinner that evening and would welcome recommendations. Thanks in advance!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15483 posts
    17 July 2018 at 16:15:05 #891667

Hi Cheri,

The boat dock is as the same place as the Lucerne train station. You’ll find several options here: http://www.myswissalps.com/lu cerne/hotels. Is there anything of interest listed there?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 July 2018 at 16:23:58 #891668

Thanks Arno, I have booked the Renaissance Lucerne and will continue to research restaurants nearby

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    17 July 2018 at 23:02:28 #891669

Hi Cheri-

Super special restaurant in Luzern…BamBou by Thomas. Ignore the screwy name, it has some history. It is at The Hotel, a block or two from the train station.

Definitely not cheap.

http://www.bamboubythomas.ch/ en/

I have followed that chef (Ralf Thomas) around Switzerland for many years.

Every time that I go to Switzerland, I go to eat at his restaurant, where ever it is.

There are other special places…at the Hotel Palace, for example, and many that are quite good but not extraordinary. If you just want a good one but not a special one, I have some favorites. Let us know.

Slowpoke

PS- I’m sure that Marriott will be excellent, but the hotels along the river are a lot more scenic. Hotel des Alpes is one of them. I stay there.

Attached is a photo taken from another one of them nearby few years ago. Now apartments; still a good restaurant.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    18 July 2018 at 1:29:38 #891670

Adding to my earlier post, the restaurant Bam Bou is just behind the Marriott.

Slowpoke

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    19 July 2018 at 6:36:25 #891671

Bam Bou. Now that rings a bell. When I was a teenager my father brought me to England and while in London I had an amazing trifle called Bam-Bou. Or was the place we were eating at called Bam-Bou ? In any case, that trifle was the best I had ever eaten. You don’t hear me saying much positive about English food, although I know it is much better because of all the immigrants that have arrived.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    19 July 2018 at 9:29:28 #891672

The restaurant in Luzern at The Hotel, now run by Ralf and Corinna Thomas, serves European food ( whatever that is). 😉 In its previous incarnation, it was an oriental restaurant, hence the name.

On our last trip through the Midlands and a bit of Wales, in 2015, we always found food that was acceptable to good by our standards. Indeed, some excellent Italian here and there. Perhaps the high point was in Norwich at The Old Rectory where the owner was the chef, and a good one. We did not seek out famous or highly rated ( by the internet) places. We rleid on our innkeepers/B&B- keepers, who did well with their advice.

However, I’ll agree that it is not the same thing as traveling in France or Belgium. 😉 Or, with a bit of care, in Switzerland, for that matter.

Slowpoke

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    19 July 2018 at 10:20:53 #891673

What I do remember well about our séjour in England and Scotland and Wales was the breakfasts in the BnBs we stayed at. They were so much more substantial than what one often got on the continent. But once again, we digress. I guess it is my fault, this time. Sorry, Cheri !

• The thread ‘Hotels & birthday restaurant idea in Lucerne’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.