How about Lucerne as a base for 5 days?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 February 2018 at 13:53:04 #814423

Hi there,

I am coming in the late of July to Switzerland in Honeymoon , i planned to stay in Lucerne 3 days and two in Interlaken , i found the hotels in Lucerne more better for me to live in , so i am wondering if i could stay in Lucerne all the 5 days as a base to visit Jungfraujoch & Lauterbrunnen & main sightseeing around Interlaken.

Yes I have a car indeed .!

By the way my plan is :

arrived night in Zurich , 5 nights for Lucerne , heading to Gstaad for two nights , Montreux for two nights , Lugano for 2 nights while i am heading to Milan.

any suggestions or tips ?

Regards..

Faisal

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 February 2018 at 17:16:07 #876776

Hi Faisal, welcome to MySwissAlps,

You could do that. It just means you spending more time in the car. The drive from Lucerne to Interlaken is one hour. So you spend at least two hours a day on top of what you will be driving in the Interlaken area.

Have you checked the hotels in Mürren or Grindelwald?

Make sure to check as well:

You may want to invest in a Swiss Half Fare Card. Transport into the mountains (by cable car, funicular, cogwheel train, etc.) and boat trips are discounted by 50%.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    20 February 2018 at 5:06:52 #876777

Hello Faisal,

You wrote “any suggestions or tips ?”.

Yes, use trains and boats and buses and cable cars to get around. The Swiss Public Transport system is fantastic.

I may not convince you but at least read this http://www.myswissalps.com/ca rversustrain before your decide to drive. 😇

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 February 2018 at 12:30:43 #876778

Thanks a lot Chantal for response ..

you change my mind and now i am thinking to book two nights in Interlaken or Grindelwald to save more time and of course to see the train path scenery , which rated high more than car road . am i right ?

Regards ..

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 February 2018 at 18:12:19 #876779

Hi Faisal,

I think it’s a good idea to book two nights in Grindelwald (or Interlaken).

Rockoyster’s suggestion to use public transportation is very valid. The scenery by car is beautiful too, but the only one who can really enjoy that is the one in the passenger seat. I don’t know how much experience you have with driving in the mountains, even if you have, it will still require concentration.

• The thread ‘How about Lucerne as a base for 5 days?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10950 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.