How are you doing 9 months into the corona crisis?

• Arno
    15483 posts
    28 October 2020 at 9:23:23 #825725

Hello MySwissAlps members and readers,

Depending on where you live, it has been up to 9 months since the corona pandemic started to influence your life. How are you doing? Hopefully you are fine health wise, though we’re very much aware that there are many other possible consequences. Socially and economically this is a hard time too.

Many of us had to cancel planned trips, ourselves included. For us, travel is our work. The crisis caused many people to rethink their way of living and/or their business strategy. We are no exception. Traveling is down by 95% or so, which means there are no funds to maintain and improve our website. We need to make changes to adapt to that new reality. Two of those changes were already on a list of ideas for the long term, but they’re a priority now. One: we are going to make MySwissAlps more easily accessible to people from some of the surrounding countries and Switzerland itself. The first phase has already been completed by offering several of our pages in German: http://www.myswissalps.com/de. English will remain the main language of our website, so no worries for our English-speaking readers. Two: we will be adding advertisements to our pages. This is still in the testing phase. If you live in the EU, you will soon see a one-time popup to give your consent for advertisement related cookies, like you probably know from many other websites. More changes will follow. These are still in the planning stage though, so more about that later.

We’re confident that this crisis will end at some point. At the moment it seems realistic that many of us can resume traveling somewhere in 2021. Virologists and other experts around the world are working hard, that’s for sure. We’re very thankful for their crucial work! Let’s make travel plans and enjoy that for now. Our goal is to keep offering help for trips to Switzerland. Now, next year and for many years to come.

As a reminder, we are still keeping an eye on all corona related news. All must-knows and other tips can be found here: http://www.myswissalps.com/coronavirus. We’ll keep updating that section of our website until this crisis is over.

We’ll get through this. Best wishes to everyone!

Arno and Annika

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Mschwalbe
    Participant
    107 posts
    29 October 2020 at 1:56:05 #934413

Hello Arno and Annika,

Thank you for your email, and for explaining your difficult situation as well as the solutions you are gradually introducing. Yes, I am one of those many travelers whose dream was shattered when I had to cancel my 10 day hiking trip in the Bernese alps (June 2020). I was heart broken. I regularly look at the webcams on your website – it makes me feel a little bit closer to your beautiful country!!!

Thanks again for all your ‘rescue efforts’ to keep your excellent website alive! We will all get through this!!

Kind regards,

Monica, from Montreal, Quebec, Canada

Madegan
    Participant
    16 posts
    29 October 2020 at 6:43:49 #934414

The very best of luck to you all

i am looking forward to recommencing my rail travels either in 2021 or 2022!!!!

Hudspith
    Participant
    71 posts
    29 October 2020 at 8:55:58 #934415

Thank you Arno and Annika for the update – your work for this wonderful website are very much appreciated. I have read it everyday well before and through lockdown and the website provides a small example of “normality”. I think we all realise that changes have to be made to continue its success and wish you well in your efforts. Stay safe and well.

Annika
    7116 posts
    29 October 2020 at 9:56:10 #934416

Dear Monica, Madegan and Hudspith,

Thank you for your kind and encouraging words! We very much appreciate them:-). Sorry to hear about your cancelled plans Monica. That must have been very disappointing indeed, after all of your planning and anticipation. We all have to adjust to this situation somehow, be patient and look forward to better times. Let’s hope we all can resume our travel plans in the near future! Keep planning and asking, we’re here to help :-).

Thanks again,

Annika

Minesh
    Participant
    2 posts
    29 October 2020 at 13:34:19 #934417

Hello Arno and Annika

we are very busy planning our Hiking trip around Mount Blanc for Aug 2021 Aug 6 to Aug 15. We are group of 10 we have done our home work. Only thing left is places to stay.

by Feb or March 2021 Covid will be over.

you can add donation link to your website. You can find inexpensive option to translate your website by hiring people in India to do translation work.

regards,

Minesh Binta and Travel Gang.

we look forward to the hiking trip.

we had to cancel Banff CA trip this year.

Arno
    15483 posts
    29 October 2020 at 15:22:49 #934418

Hi Minesh,

I hope you’re enjoying the planning. At least that’s something we can do right now 🙂 Should you need help with finding accommodation within Switzerland, feel free to post here: http://www.myswissalps.com/forum/accommodation.

And, thanks for your suggestions!

• The thread ‘How are you doing 9 months into the corona crisis?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.