How do I book the round trip to Mt Rigi

• Rivertrip
    Participant
    4 posts
    9 May 2015 at 17:54:24 #807198

We will be arriving in Lucerne mid morning June 7 and would like to take the Mt Rigi round trip from Lucerne. we cannot find out how to book it, where it leaves from or the time table. Can you help? This is the trip

Classic Rigi Round Trip: The classic Rigi Round Trip offers a winning combination of ferry, cogwheel railway and aerial cable car rides. This varied excursion to the heart of Central Switzerland makes the perfect day or half-day trip from/to Lucerne.

rigi.ch/ Adventures/Majestic-moments/Majestic-moments-Groups-Companies/Classic-Rigi-Round-Trip

Many thanks

Rivertrip from Ottawa

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    9 May 2015 at 20:23:34 #842943

[quote]Rivertrip said:

We will be arriving in Lucerne mid morning June 7 and would like to take the Mt Rigi round trip from Lucerne. we cannot find out how to book it, where it leaves from or the time table. Can you help? This is the trip

Classic Rigi Round Trip: The classic Rigi Round Trip offers a winning
    combination of ferry, cogwheel railway and aerial cable car rides. This
    varied excursion to the heart of Central Switzerland makes the perfect
    day or half-day trip from/to Lucerne.

http://www.rigi.ch/Adventures/Majestic-moments/Majestic-moments-Groups-Companies/Classic-Rigi-Round-Trip

Many thanks

Rivertrip from Ottawa

[/quote]

<<“we cannot find out how to book it, where it leaves from or the time table. Can you help? This is the trip”>>

A darned good question about a very nice trip. I have enjoyed every bit of it, in sections or pieces,many times. I hope the forum moderators have an answer.

I tried to pursue links fron the URL that you supplied. I did get a bit farther:

issuu.com/ rigi_bahnen_ag/ docs/folder_rigi_ rundreise_low

However, it is still not clear to me how to do it.

I think i would try to find a home page for the Rigi Bahn, and see if they have a way to contact them.

wvrt.ch/en/ mobility/rigi-bahnen

gives their URL as –

rigi@rigi.ch

and
    http://www.rigi.ch

The header of the first link (the longer one, not the two short ones) has contact information, and if you click on Contact, you will find a message that says they want to help you. That might get you what you need.

One comment about the route shown on the brochure.

The return trip after the cable car down to Weggis leaves you at the valley station of the Luftseilbahn (the cable car.) and requires a bit of a walk to contnue.

From there to the boat is a 20-30 minute downhill walk. You get off the cable car at approx 490 meters elevation, and the boat dock, about one half km away, is at 435 meters.

map.geo.admin.ch/ ?X=209601.84& Y=675598.04& zoom=8& lang=en& topic=swisstopo& bgLayer=ch.swisstopo.pixelkarte-farbe

Good roads, not a rough trail. If you have mobility problems, it could be an issue. You are unlikely to have luggage, I suspect, but luggage could make the walk more difficult. Or, perhaps they have a bus to meet you if you take the tour. In past years, at least, there has been no regular or shuttle bus service for that short journey. You might ask. Doing the package tour is very convenient, and the prices seem similar to taking the journey on your own in segments.

Could you do the trip without a packaged tour?

I think it is possible, if for some reason you cannot connect with the tour.

There is reasonably frequent service on those routes (and also on a less scenic return route down the other side of the Rigi to Arth-Goldau, with less walking involved). From Arth Goldau, there are frequent trains to Luzern, Zürich, and other destinations. Weggis has bus service.

The printed schedules are readily available, for instance at the tourist office by track #1 in Luzern main station. If you cannot find out before you arrive in Luzern, that tourist office will surely be able to help you out. They are very good.

There is sufficient capacity on those routes that you are likely to have no problem with a last minute booking.

The boats run less frequently than the other services, and the cograil trains are not as frequent as the regular passenger trains. Still, there are choices. The cable car down from Kaltbad to Weggis runs twice per hour, until the early evening. A look at a schedule and a map could help you put together an itinerary and make the journey without the tour, if you cannot find out about the tour from a link.

The train, boat, cable car, schedules are available at the Swiss Rail web site –

http://www.sbb.ch/en/home.html

Two maps that I like are –

map.geo.admin.ch/? X=190000.00 &Y=660000.00 &zoom=0 &lang=en &topic=swisstopo &bgLayer=ch.swisstopo.pixelkarte-farbe

and

map.classic.search.ch

If you check the box on the left for Traffic, then Rail, you will see rail stations on the map. Zoom in. If you mouse over them, you can see schedules to/from that station. I find that helpful in my planning.

Good luck in finding an answer to your question.The Swiss tourist industry usually makes it easier to find a way to take advantage of their services. 😉

Slowpoke

Annika
    7116 posts
    10 May 2015 at 14:41:33 #842944

Hi Rivertrip,

There are many options to visit Mount Rigi. You can find suggestions on myswissalps.com/ rigi. The option you referred to is quite interesting because it’s a combination of three modes of transport: boat, cogwheel train and cable car. However, you only get to see one side of the mountain and the boat trips to and from Vitznau/Weggis are the same route. As you can see on our Rigi page you can also choose to take a train from the top down to Arth-Goldau, to cover the other side of the mountain. The choice is yours; it’s all beautiful.

You don’t need to book anything, and there’s no need for a guided tour. As Slowpoke said, all modes of transport offer frequent services. You can find them in the timetable. Also have a look at myswissalps.com/ boatlakelucerne for more information, and a link to the boat timetable which might be convenient to check in advance.

Tickets can be purchased in Lucerne. You don’t need tickets if you have a Swiss Travel Pass. All of this is included in the pass.

Have a wonderful day trip!

msra7hm2
    Participant
    63 posts
    2 June 2015 at 9:16:14 #842945

If we choose the Classic Rigi Trip

Is this cable car covered by the Swiss Pass?

-Aerial cable car from Rigi Kaltbad – Weggis

Arno
    15483 posts
    2 June 2015 at 9:26:39 #842946

Hi msra7hm2,

Yes, it’s included. You can download the map to see everything that is included.

• The thread ‘How do I book the round trip to Mt Rigi’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.