Booking Golden Pass train and finding schedule

Booking Golden Pass train and finding schedule

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
kateS
kateS
3 posts
Nov 20, 2017 - 11:29 PM

Hi. I am wanting to book tickets on the Golden pass route. On the 29th Dec we would like to travel from Neuwied in Germany to Lucerne, and then overnight in Lucerne. On the 30th we would like to travel on the golden pass route and end up in Geneva. Everytime I try and book tickets it puts me on other routes ..... what is the best way for me to book this? We are travelling from New Zealand to spend xmas with relatives in Germany and then new year with friends in Geneva. Thanks so much for any help. Kind regards, Kate

Slowpoke
Slowpoke
5006 posts
expert
Nov 21, 2017 - 12:04 AM in reply to kateS

Hi Kate-

Welcome to My Swiss Alps.

I don't know if we have any Kiwi's on the forum, but there seems to be a fair number from that other larger place to your west.

Have they restored the train travel over Arthur's Pass? We really enjoyed it.

Here are couple of useful tools.

First , the timetable:

www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

Please read the introductory help page. My guess is that you are a victim of the timetable's computer. It always picks the fastest route. The Golden Pass routes are not the fastest. I suspect that you realize that the Golden Pass route ends in Montreux? Frequent regular trains to Geneva continuing to the aeroport.

This may help:

www.myswissalps.com/go ldenpass

Slowpoke

kateS
kateS
3 posts
Nov 21, 2017 - 12:21 AM in reply to Slowpoke

Hi and thanks so much for the tips, I'll have a look. Yes I think the train is up and running over arthurs pass. :-)

rockoyster
rockoyster
3922 posts
expert
Nov 21, 2017 - 5:48 AM in reply to kateS

Hi Kate,

Greetings from Oz.

Take a look at this www.mob.ch/en/reservat ion-procedure

If you use the SBB Timetable you need to go Lucerne to Geneva via Meiringen, Interlaken Ost, Zweisimmen and Montreux. Between the last two mentioned stations is where the real Golden Pass Panoramic trains run. They are denoted MOB Panoramic or MOB Belle Epoque (Classic/vintage style but with big windows).

Reservations are not mandatory but may be worthwhile on the Zweisimmen to Montreux leg. The rest of the route are just regular trains.

Are you departing Switzerland from Geneva?

kateS
kateS
3 posts
Nov 21, 2017 - 8:40 AM in reply to rockoyster

Hi and thanks so much, huge help along with the previous tips. Think I have the trains figured now, I just needed to break up the booking a bit to get the right route.

yes leaving from Geneva back to Nz via Bali to warm up again!

kate

Slowpoke
Slowpoke
5006 posts
expert
Nov 21, 2017 - 8:47 AM in reply to kateS

<<"Think I have the trains figured now, I just needed to break up the booking a bit to get the right route.">>

Exactly. That is what the "via" box is for. Or, you can do it in segments. In the old days, with the paper "Kursbuch" (timetable) that is what what was necessary.

I like to keep this map open when I'm deciding on train routes. If you zoom in far enough, you can see the train lines. Using the menus under "Points of Interest/Traffic" is also helpful.

map.search.ch/

Slowpoke

More about Swiss trains and rail passes

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2018