Booking Golden Pass train and finding schedule

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 November 2017 at 23:29:26 #813705

Hi. I am wanting to book tickets on the Golden pass route. On the 29th Dec we would like to travel from Neuwied in Germany to Lucerne, and then overnight in Lucerne. On the 30th we would like to travel on the golden pass route and end up in Geneva. Everytime I try and book tickets it puts me on other routes ….. what is the best way for me to book this? We are travelling from New Zealand to spend xmas with relatives in Germany and then new year with friends in Geneva. Thanks so much for any help. Kind regards, Kate

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    21 November 2017 at 0:04:34 #872185

Hi Kate-

Welcome to My Swiss Alps.

I don’t know if we have any Kiwi’s on the forum, but there seems to be a fair number from that other larger place to your west.

Have they restored the train travel over Arthur’s Pass? We really enjoyed it.

Here are couple of useful tools.

First , the timetable:

http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

Please read the introductory help page. My guess is that you are a victim of the timetable’s computer. It always picks the fastest route. The Golden Pass routes are not the fastest. I suspect that you realize that the Golden Pass route ends in Montreux? Frequent regular trains to Geneva continuing to the aeroport.

This may help:

http://www.myswissalps.com/go ldenpass

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 November 2017 at 0:21:54 #872186

Hi and thanks so much for the tips, I’ll have a look. Yes I think the train is up and running over arthurs pass. 🙂

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    21 November 2017 at 5:48:03 #872187

Hi Kate,

Greetings from Oz.

Take a look at this http://www.mob.ch/en/reservat ion-procedure

If you use the SBB Timetable you need to go Lucerne to Geneva via Meiringen, Interlaken Ost, Zweisimmen and Montreux. Between the last two mentioned stations is where the real Golden Pass Panoramic trains run. They are denoted MOB Panoramic or MOB Belle Epoque (Classic/vintage style but with big windows).

Reservations are not mandatory but may be worthwhile on the Zweisimmen to Montreux leg. The rest of the route are just regular trains.

Are you departing Switzerland from Geneva?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 November 2017 at 8:40:33 #872188

Hi and thanks so much, huge help along with the previous tips. Think I have the trains figured now, I just needed to break up the booking a bit to get the right route.

yes leaving from Geneva back to Nz via Bali to warm up again!

kate

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    21 November 2017 at 8:47:22 #872189

<<“Think I have the trains figured now, I just needed to break up the booking a bit to get the right route.”>>

Exactly. That is what the “via” box is for. Or, you can do it in segments. In the old days, with the paper “Kursbuch” (timetable) that is what what was necessary.

I like to keep this map open when I’m deciding on train routes. If you zoom in far enough, you can see the train lines. Using the menus under “Points of Interest/Traffic” is also helpful.

map.search.ch/

Slowpoke

• The thread ‘Booking Golden Pass train and finding schedule’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.