How do i know if it is the Glacier Express train?

How do i know if it is the Glacier Express train?

Share this page on Facebook Share this page on Google+ Share this page on Twitter Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
twiggy321
twiggy321
90 posts
Apr 29, 2017 - 10:16 AM

Hi Annika, Arno and Lucas

i know this question has been answered many times before but could you clarify as the SBB website seems to have changed its layout and I cant find actual train information

I wish to travel from Montreux to Zermatt on the 27th June leaving at approx 10.00 i have an interal global pass which states that i must make a seat reservation if using the glacier express .

My question is therefore can i avoid this by using a normal train on the same route and therefore not require seat reservation

Many thanks for you valuable advice in advance

Annika
Annika
4880 posts
expert &
Apr 29, 2017 - 7:40 PM

Hi twiggy321,

For this journey it's really not necessary to pick a Glacier Express train, as it's only about the short section Visp-Zermatt. Regular trains on the exact same route will do and you don't need any reservations for those. A connection that involves the Glacier Express will be labeled with a red "GEX"-icon in the timetable. If you click on one of the presented connections, a drop-down list with more details will appear.

Does this help?

twiggy321
twiggy321
90 posts
Apr 30, 2017 - 10:40 AM

Hi Annika

This is the train which I wish to catch . I'm a bit confused about the section Visp to Zermatt as this is the Glacier Express bit will i need a reservation for that section??

ok so im travelling on the 09.38 from Montreux on the 27th June the timetable says

Platform 3

1713Direction Brig

Expected occupancy

Departure09:38

Show interim stops

Visp, Platform 6

Arrival10:53 this section shows a big Red iR box

from Visp to Zermatt

Visp, Platform 3

R 229Direction Zermatt this i assume is a Regional Train.

Expected occupancy

Departure11:08

Show interim stops

Zermatt, Platform 3

Arrival12:14

Any help much appreciated in advance. i just want to know that i can get on the train with no added extra cost. i have the Interrail Global Pass .

Many thanks in advance

Annika
Annika
4880 posts
expert &
Apr 30, 2017 - 7:35 PM

Hi twiggy321,

This connection doesn't involve a Glacier Express train (otherwise the red GEX-icon will be displayed), so no seat reservations are needed and your Interrail Global Pass will cover the ride: myswissalps.com/interr ailglobalpass/validity.

twiggy321
twiggy321
90 posts
May 1, 2017 - 8:02 AM

Thankyou so much Annika fabulous service as always.

More about Swiss trains and rail passes

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2017