How do i know if it is the Glacier Express train?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 April 2017 at 10:16:11 #811601

Hi Annika, Arno and Lucas

i know this question has been answered many times before but could you clarify as the SBB website seems to have changed its layout and I cant find actual train information

I wish to travel from Montreux to Zermatt on the 27th June leaving at approx 10.00 i have an interal global pass which states that i must make a seat reservation if using the glacier express .

My question is therefore can i avoid this by using a normal train on the same route and therefore not require seat reservation

Many thanks for you valuable advice in advance

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7124 posts
    29 April 2017 at 19:40:20 #862465

Hi twiggy321,

For this journey it’s really not necessary to pick a Glacier Express train, as it’s only about the short section Visp-Zermatt. Regular trains on the exact same route will do and you don’t need any reservations for those. A connection that involves the Glacier Express will be labeled with a red “GEX”-icon in the timetable. If you click on one of the presented connections, a drop-down list with more details will appear.

Does this help?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 April 2017 at 10:40:35 #862466

Hi Annika

This is the train which I wish to catch . I’m a bit confused about the section Visp to Zermatt as this is the Glacier Express bit will i need a reservation for that section??

ok so im travelling on the 09.38 from Montreux on the 27th June the timetable says

Platform 3

1713Direction Brig

Expected occupancy

Departure09:38

Show interim stops

Visp, Platform 6

Arrival10:53 this section shows a big Red iR box

from Visp to Zermatt

Visp, Platform 3

R 229Direction Zermatt this i assume is a Regional Train.

Expected occupancy

Departure11:08

Show interim stops

Zermatt, Platform 3

Arrival12:14

Any help much appreciated in advance. i just want to know that i can get on the train with no added extra cost. i have the Interrail Global Pass .

Many thanks in advance

Annika
    7124 posts
    30 April 2017 at 19:35:30 #862467

Hi twiggy321,

This connection doesn’t involve a Glacier Express train (otherwise the red GEX-icon will be displayed), so no seat reservations are needed and your Interrail Global Pass will cover the ride: myswissalps.com/interr ailglobalpass/validity.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 May 2017 at 8:02:46 #862468

Thankyou so much Annika fabulous service as always.

• The thread ‘How do i know if it is the Glacier Express train?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.