How do i know if it is the Glacier Express train?

Print this page
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
twiggy321
twiggy321
90 posts
Apr 29, 2017 - 10:16 AM

Hi Annika, Arno and Lucas

i know this question has been answered many times before but could you clarify as the SBB website seems to have changed its layout and I cant find actual train information

I wish to travel from Montreux to Zermatt on the 27th June leaving at approx 10.00 i have an interal global pass which states that i must make a seat reservation if using the glacier express .

My question is therefore can i avoid this by using a normal train on the same route and therefore not require seat reservation

Many thanks for you valuable advice in advance

Annika
Annika
5005 posts
expert &
Apr 29, 2017 - 7:40 PM

Hi twiggy321,

For this journey it's really not necessary to pick a Glacier Express train, as it's only about the short section Visp-Zermatt. Regular trains on the exact same route will do and you don't need any reservations for those. A connection that involves the Glacier Express will be labeled with a red "GEX"-icon in the timetable. If you click on one of the presented connections, a drop-down list with more details will appear.

Does this help?

twiggy321
twiggy321
90 posts
Apr 30, 2017 - 10:40 AM

Hi Annika

This is the train which I wish to catch . I'm a bit confused about the section Visp to Zermatt as this is the Glacier Express bit will i need a reservation for that section??

ok so im travelling on the 09.38 from Montreux on the 27th June the timetable says

Platform 3

1713Direction Brig

Expected occupancy

Departure09:38

Show interim stops

Visp, Platform 6

Arrival10:53 this section shows a big Red iR box

from Visp to Zermatt

Visp, Platform 3

R 229Direction Zermatt this i assume is a Regional Train.

Expected occupancy

Departure11:08

Show interim stops

Zermatt, Platform 3

Arrival12:14

Any help much appreciated in advance. i just want to know that i can get on the train with no added extra cost. i have the Interrail Global Pass .

Many thanks in advance

Annika
Annika
5005 posts
expert &
Apr 30, 2017 - 7:35 PM

Hi twiggy321,

This connection doesn't involve a Glacier Express train (otherwise the red GEX-icon will be displayed), so no seat reservations are needed and your Interrail Global Pass will cover the ride: myswissalps.com/interr ailglobalpass/validity.

twiggy321
twiggy321
90 posts
May 1, 2017 - 8:02 AM

Thankyou so much Annika fabulous service as always.

More about Swiss trains and rail passes

More on MySwissAlps.com

Get a free account to plan your trip

Planning your trip is much easier with a free MySwissAlps account. Learn all about Switzerland and get in touch with us quickly if you have questions.

Learn more

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2019