How do SBB “Stop on Requests” Work? (Cavaglia)

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 May 2017 at 12:06:41 #812046

Hello. We will be heading from Poschiavo to Pontresina with a stop at the Cavaglia Gletschergarten. The SBB timetable says that the stops with an X by them are “stop on request”. Do I request that stop when I show them my Swiss Travel Pass once on the train?

And if we want to get back on a train from Cavaglia on to Ponstresina, and Cavaglia shows up as a “stop on request” (June 25 14:44)…how do they know we want the train to stop…or do they just see us at the small stop along the tracks?

Thank you,

Oh Geologist

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 May 2017 at 17:55:35 #864245

When I traveled to Davos last year it was a similar setup. Those trains had call buttons to request a stop (like any city bus).
    You didn’t need to inform the conductor (although you could to double-check on your train) 🙂

The train will stop if they see anyone at the station when pulling in (so don’t wait inside anywhere!)

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 May 2017 at 23:37:19 #864246

hi

We have used stop on request on the Zweisimmen – Lenk line a couple of times. As Lucas says there is a call button on the train to press to stop it to disembark. Sit where you can see the route on the display screens in the carriage so that you know when your stop is coming up. There will be a tannoy announcement as well but in German so watching screen is best! From memory I think it is “Halt auf Verlangen” you will hear and also see on the screen.

On the station platforms of request stations there is also a call button to request the train to stop for you – just check which direction of travel you are going in and press appropriate button.

Don’t worry – we have had no problems figuring it out!

Maggie

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    31 May 2017 at 8:47:09 #864247

Thanks Maggie! I didn’t notice the call button at a station as well!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    31 May 2017 at 10:05:21 #864248

Thanks very much Lucas and Maggie…I pictured us out trying to wave down the train!

Oh(io) Geologist

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    31 May 2017 at 14:25:37 #864249

Haha! I assumed it was more that the train driver sees passengers waiting and stops the train ;).
    No frantic arm waving needed – I guess someone pressed a button on the tracks without me noticing!

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 June 2017 at 3:19:40 #864250

>> I guess someone pressed a button on the tracks without me noticing!

Yes, that might have been the case!

The only “Halt auf Verlangen” button I ever saw on a platform had very specific instructions for use. Something along the lines of: it must be pressed no earlier than 10 minutes before the train was due, and if it was not pressed, the train would not stop regardless!

However, I have seen bus drivers and train drivers in Switzerland go out of their way for tourists on so many occasions, that I would be really surprised if they actually did not stop when they saw people on the platform, even if the button had not been pressed.

Alpenrose

• The thread ‘How do SBB “Stop on Requests” Work? (Cavaglia)’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11030 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.