Transfering luggage on Gotthard Panorama Express?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 February 2018 at 1:22:00 #814404

Hi we are 4~adults , all over 70,who wish to travel on the gotthard express train from Lucerne to Lugano. Because of some mobility issue we have tried to find a service to handle our luggage. The Swiss Bellboy is very expensive and I cannot find another. We are concerned as we have been told that the transfer time between the boat and train is only 7 minutes!, is it possible to do that or can anyone offer any suggestions as to how we can accomplish this. Thanks very much. Kathy

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    18 February 2018 at 2:48:16 #876568

Hi Kathy and Welcome to MySwissAlps,

I don’t think you will find it a problem. The train arrives at 11.47 and the boat departs at 12:00.

The station is very close to the dock.

I’m sure there will be some kindly fellow travellers who will give you a hand.

On the train there is an SBB guide, a sort of maître d’train. You can always have a chat to him/her about your concerns and they may be able to organise some assistance.

You might also be interested in this brochure describing the trip goo.gl/3gsZBg.

The other option is to use the SBB Luggage forwarding service from Lugano to Lucerne. See http://www.sbb.ch/en/station-services/services/lugg age-and-flight-luggage/luggage.html. But I doubt you would find it necessary.

Happy travels.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 February 2018 at 12:55:25 #876569

Good morning and thanks so much for the information. We are concerned because of the timing ad cannot iss this one opportunity to travel on the train,

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 February 2018 at 3:37:09 #876570

>> We are concerned because of the timing ad cannot iss this one opportunity to travel on the train

If you are travelling in the direction Luzern/Lucerne to Lugano, the boat will arrive at Flüelen at 13:55, and the train will leave at 14:10. That gives you 15 minutes to change, rather than 7 minutes. The wharf is close to the station (see attached aerial shot).

There is step-free access to the platforms at the railway station – probably ramps.

What date are you travelling on the Gotthard Panorama Express? Are you travelling first class or second class?

Alpenrose

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    19 February 2018 at 5:25:58 #876571

Oops I got the direction of travel round the wrong way. 🤭

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 February 2018 at 12:30:54 #876572

Lee Are traveling on September 13,2018 in first class and I thank you fr responding!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 February 2018 at 14:37:41 #876573

We have been told by Rail Europe that it is not possible to purchase tickets for our trip on the Gotthard Panoramic Express earlier than 90 days before departure. We are concerned because we must travel on September13th and would like to secure our tickets as soon as possible. Does anyone have a solution?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 February 2018 at 16:26:53 #876574

Hi Kathy,

Yes, usually it is 90 days in advance. You only need reservations or tickets as well?

Please have a look at this thread:http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/reserv-gotthard-pan-exp-spr-18-with-eurail-pass. Happyrail.com might still allow you to do reservations way ahead of time. However September might be too far away.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    19 February 2018 at 21:23:41 #876575

Hi Kathy,

I wouldn’t worry too much. Just try making reservations in mid June and you’ll be fine.

Note that there are no reserved seats on the boat.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 February 2018 at 3:49:08 #876576

>> We have been told by Rail Europe that it is not possible to purchase tickets for our trip on the Gotthard Panoramic Express earlier than 90 days before departure. We are concerned because we must travel on September13th

As others have confirmed, reservations are not possible more than 90 days before your travel date. But remember that everyone else is in the same boat (so to speak), so they can’t reserve either, and won’t have any advantage over you.

In any case, in the extremely unlikely scenario that all the seats were booked before you made your reservation, you could still travel exactly the same route, and see exactly the same scenery, on a boat from Luzern to Flüelen, then on regional trains from Flüelen to Lugano (over 20 different departures for the day). I won’t go into details about how do that, as it is so unlikely to be necessary, but you can ask for more specific infomation later if need be.

Alpenrose

• The thread ‘Transfering luggage on Gotthard Panorama Express?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11030 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.