How does a Swiss Supersaver ticket work?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 April 2019 at 2:58:13 #820919

I am going to be in Switzerland in May for 13 days. Havent been assessing if i should buy the Swiss Travel Pass but it is expenisve. I am also trying to use the calculator. Then i notice on the SBB app that there are supersaver fares for a lot of the train trips that i have scheduled.

i have heard that supersaver tickets can only be bought online. if i see supersaver option for the trip i look up now, will this option be available going forward or is there a limit of supersaver tickets for sale for each train so it’s first-come-first-served? I want to know if i should go ahead and buy those SS tickets now or can i wait til like the day before the respective trips.

if i buy it via the app can i still print the tickets just in case i dont have internet access when i get to Switzerland? (In case i need to modify my itinerary later)

in case i cannot take the specific trip can i get a refund?

are there other restrictions on supersaver tickets than they can only be used on the specified time/train?

thanks

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    12 April 2019 at 3:25:17 #909088

Hello LightPackerC and welcome to MySwissAlps,

You will find an explanation of Supersaver Tickets at http://www.myswissalps.com/tr aintickets/switzerland. They are basically a marketing tactic to get people into trains that would otherwise be empty.

In case i need to modify my itinerary later

Caution: They are far from ideal unless you plans are set in stone. They are only valid for the trip, including date and exact time you buy them for.

in case i cannot take the specific trip can i get a refund?

No.

You don’t need internet access to display already-purchased tickets using the SBB Mobile App.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 April 2019 at 5:55:47 #909089

Hi LightPackerC,

As said by Rockoyster, the Supersaver tickets are exclusively valid on the one train you buy them fore, you will NOT be able to take another train without buying another ticket. This is why the tickets are so cheap.
    There is also only a limited number of Supersaver tickets available and the CAN sell out.

Maybe the Saver Day Pass would be more practical for you, but this of course depends strongly on your plans and itinerary, which you don’t mention.
    http://www.myswissalps.com/sa verdaypass

Get back to us for further input.

Best,
    Steph

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 April 2019 at 21:22:50 #909090

Hi all

thanks for your replies.

I have downloaded the SBB app and then saved each trip that i plan to take each day. And then i look up the cost of each by selecting “Select Ticket” to see the regular fare and whether supersaver ticket is available.

so i see that super saver is not available for a majority of my trips. I am now just comparing if i should buy the Swiss Travel Pass vs Half Price Card instead.

can i buy the Half Fare Card at the train stations and then buy each tickets at half price online?

can i see if a particular is entitled for half price on the SBB app (once i add the Half Fare Card there)? I am putting all trips and fares i have looked into the Pass Calculation excel file but not 100% sure if those trips really qualify fir half price.

thanks

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    14 April 2019 at 21:29:50 #909091

If you have a Swiss Half-fare Card you can adjust your passenger details in the SBB app so that you automatically buy half-fare tickets which are available pretty much everywhere on the transport network and most mountain excursions. See map at http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isshalffarecard/validi ty.

• The thread ‘How does a Swiss Supersaver ticket work?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10720 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.