How does the Swiss Travel Pass work?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 September 2018 at 15:58:22 #818403

Hi

3 of us going to Switzerland in Oct and we have bought the Swiss Travel Pass 15 days 2nd class consecutive online from sbb

I like to know how this pass works, since it’s my first time using

based on the link I received from sbb I just need to printout the Swiss Travel Pass on any A4 paper, and show to the train conductor for all the trains I take in Switzerland, there’s no need to validate my ticket, no need to buy any train ticket nor make any seat reservations right ?

I can see that 0843 hr train from Zurich to Bern is very high occupancy, so I still don’t need any seat reservation or will it run out of seats in case I happen to take this timing ?

So the STP allows me to travel free on the train to Zermatt, Interlaken, Luzerne, Lausanne etc without need to buy any train tickets but if I were to take the cable car, lift, cogwheel train I would have to buy a ticket but it comes with discount right ?

Hope you can advice since I’m travelling first time to Switzerland.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    17 September 2018 at 16:40:10 #896404

Hi Swiss4me, and welcome to MySwissAlps!

Basically all of your assumptions are correct. For details you can check these pages:

Even if all seats are occupied you can still board, and then pick a seat when someone gets off the train at the next stop.

Please let us know if any questions remain.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 September 2018 at 17:02:15 #896405

many thanks for your fast reply

I read that if one lost its Swiss Travel Pass he has to buy again

hmm, if I somehow lost or damage my STP (if my paper ticket may get wet), can I just print out from my email and use as new again ?

it’s so expensive I would definitely try to keep it safe throughout my 15 days trip

Arno
    15471 posts
    17 September 2018 at 17:52:11 #896406

You’re welcome! Buying a new pass in such an unfortunate event only applies if it is a hardcopy purchased at a train station. It’s one of the reasons why an online purchase is best. So no worries, you can indeed print the file again if needed. You can keep the file on your phone, in the cloud, etc.

munichmaria1
    Participant
    12 posts
    18 September 2018 at 7:22:06 #896407

We are traveling through Switzerland now. We have the 15 day STP and the best way to do this is to take a screenshot of the bar code of the STP. Then on the train when the conductor come by you just show him the picture, he scans it and you go. Just get on the train – the Swiss are the best!!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 September 2018 at 7:42:30 #896408

thanks a lot, you guys answered all my concerns, wonderful !

• The thread ‘How does the Swiss Travel Pass work?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.