How early should I book my Zermatt accommodations?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    31 January 2018 at 0:27:23 #814202

I plan on staying in Zermatt the 23-25th of December 2018, and maybe Interlaken afterwards. I am trying to gauge how soon I should try and book a hotel and I know its 11 months out but I don’t want to wait too long and find that all the good places have been scooped up.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    31 January 2018 at 1:12:46 #875422

Hi MrRogers, and welcome to MySwissAlps!

I would book now. High season in the alps starts just before Christmas. Places like Zermatt and the villages in the Jungfrau Region have people who come back every year, and secure their place before leaving the previous year. Also, some hotels are relatively small.

Having found your preferred accommodation, if online booking is not yet available, I would send an email to the hotel enquiring about how early they will accept reservations, and they might tell you they will accept them now.

That worked well for me in Wengen, where I stayed for a week at Christmas 2016. I wanted a room with a view in a particular small hotel, and they accepted an email booking about 15 months out.

Before booking, make sure you understand the cancellation provisions.

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    31 January 2018 at 1:17:21 #875423

Thank you for the response, I kinda had a feeling I should book as soon as I could. Is it true that during the week of Christmas hotels only like to book for the whole week? I think I read something like that not too long ago.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    31 January 2018 at 1:24:18 #875424

>> Is it true that during the week of Christmas hotels only like to book for the whole week?

Yes, many hotels do have a minimum booking period of 3-5 days at Christmas, but it varies from hotel to hotel. If an online booking attempt for 3 days shows no available rooms, try booking for a longer period to see if that then shows rooms available.

Many hotels will also have their booking policies detailed somewhere on their website.

Alpenrose

cam223
    Participant
    97 posts
    31 January 2018 at 15:01:08 #875425

Booking now is essential. We were there in late November, 2017 and many places were already booked for next December (2018). We booked our restaurants months in advance for our trip since we knew that they also fill up rapidly. The staff at many of them told us that it’s almost impossible to get in during the holiday season without reservations made far in advance. Many have guests who return year after year. If we go back in November or early December, 2018 we will book that soon since Zermatt is a very popular destination.

http://www.myswissalps.com/ze rmatt/hotels

• The thread ‘How early should I book my Zermatt accommodations?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.