Arrival at Zurich airport for international flight

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 June 2019 at 14:23:46 #822320

Hi!

Flying to US via Reykjavik (Icelandair). What is the process? Do I drop off my luggage with Icelandair and proceed to security do I just queue through or is it a lengthy USA TSA review? About how many hours does it take to queue. Arriving through Reykjavik from USA was quick and easy. Also is once passed security – is the Sprüngli shop still there and do they have chocolate behind the case or just in boxes.

p.s. had a wonderful time and planning my next trip!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    18 June 2019 at 4:05:04 #915416

Hello Sstedman1 and Welcome to MySwissAlps,

Zurich is a very efficient airport. Once you check in your bags with the airline you proceed through passport control. You won’t find any queuing on a US scale at all.

Even so it is wise to arrive at the airport 2 hours before and international flight.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 June 2019 at 9:51:19 #915417

Hello Sstedman1,

2 hours before departure is normally more than enough for departing from Zurich airport, and YES, you will (most definitely) find Sprüngli also after the security, as it’s a kind of “flagship” for Switzerland.

Enjoy both the chocolates and your journey homewards.

Safe flight and kind regards,
    Steph

To check arrival times to Zurich airport use:
    http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable, Zürich Flughafen is the airport in German

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    18 June 2019 at 19:07:20 #915418

Hi Sstedman1

If you can, buy your Sprüngli chocolates downtown. A few years ago they began to offer boxes with somewhat lower prices and a lot fewer pieces at the airport. Nice gold plastic liner in the box with widely spaced pieces. Good for tourists, I guess. I recall that you cannot buy the “high density” forms at the airport inside the secure zone…either prepackaged or “loose.”

Might have changed, but I’d not take the chance.

Since that time (I have not rechecked recently) I buy my Sprüngli chocolates at Zürich main station.

Slowpoke

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    20 June 2019 at 11:29:36 #915419

Hi Sstedman1

I wrote before –

<<“If you can, buy your Sprüngli chocolates downtown………

Since that time (I have not rechecked recently) I buy my Sprüngli chocolates at Zürich main station.”>>

I checked yesterday on my way out to the USA. So, now I have checked recently. 😉

I have to correct my previous statement.

Sprüngli has a full service store across the way as you leave duty free. You can buy the prepackaged assortments, or individual pieces to fill a box, just as in the downtown stores. Prices are identical.

I think my memories of and comments about skimpy prepackaged containers might perhaps possibly maybe apply to the Lindt shop immediately to the right as you exit duty free. I did not have time to do some careful looking there. Memory suggests that was where I noticed the skimpy contents of relatively large boxes.

Slowpoke

• The thread ‘Arrival at Zurich airport for international flight’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.