How expensive is Switzerland for a vacation?

• Ashraf907
    Participant
    47 posts
    20 December 2018 at 12:55:51 #819228

Hi..

I am going for 10-days trip to Europe. It will be our first time in europe.I have fallen in love with switzerland looking at pictures and tv, while my wife and children preferred Paris.

I want to divide 5 days each between them. But as I read and research further Switzerland is very expensive, especially the accommodation. Therefore I may have to shorten Switzerland to 3-days only.

How expensive is Switzerland really is, particularly in Jungfrau region for tourists compare to Paris? The most expensive cities I been to were Dubai, Hong Kong, Sydney and Singapore. Can anyone give rough comparison between Jungfrau and any of these countries?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 December 2018 at 17:00:23 #900641

Hi Ashraf907,

Generally, Switzerland, Hong Kong and Singapore are noted as the most expensive countries, or cities, to visit in the world – so if you’ve visited those 2 regions you’ll have an idea of what to expect in Switzerland.

As for accommodation options, we have a list here and you can search for different budget levels as well: http://www.myswissalps.com/ac commodation

You might also find this link helpful to help save some money in Switzerland: http://www.myswissalps.com/pl antrip/doityourself/sa vemoney

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 December 2018 at 23:07:26 #900642

Accomodation in Switzerland is not really that much more expensive than in Paris or London, and the view is better!

But as with everything involving travel, you need to shop around for the best deals and prices

Ashraf907
    Participant
    47 posts
    21 December 2018 at 3:22:34 #900643

Hi Lucas… tq for the info.

hi 1960man… for single or double bedroom hotel it is easy to find comparable to Paris as I check in various hotel websites and AirBnb. But for family with 2 adults and 3 children the cheapest suitable apartments in Wengen is almost double price than Paris. Suitable means good review and above average rating and walking distance to train station.

I have rough idea now on the hotel and transport cost. Transport I can purchse Swiss Travel pass. Hopefully I can get more info on cost of meal? I have read that even the sandwich cost ard CHF6-8. That means for 5 pax will total ard CHF35. Where I come from sandwich with cheese, egg and tuna cost less than CHF1 and usually only for breakfast as we eat heavy for lunch and dinner 😁.

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    21 December 2018 at 3:44:41 #900644

Hello Ashraf,

1960man has given you some sound advice. Shop around and you will find the best prices. If you decide to spend a night in Geneva on arrival from Paris, take a look at the Hotel President Wilson. Here prices range all the way up to US$80,000 per night if you stay in the Royal Penthouse Suite. But it has 12 bedrooms, probably more than what you will need for yourself, your wife, and three children.

On the serious side, while in Switzerland, you should look into finding food at either a Coop or a Migros, or in some locations, a Denner (owned by Migros), a Volg, an Aldi, or a Lidl. Once you have decided where you will be each day, you can find the locations of these stores using Google Maps.

Ashraf907
    Participant
    47 posts
    21 December 2018 at 4:16:10 #900645

Hi Peterli…

woww tq for your hotel recommendation. Unfortunately Geneva is not in the plan 😝.

My plan is upon landing in Paris after 20hrs+ flight from Brunei we will go straight to Strasbourg via train. Spend 3 nights there including day trip to Europa Park in Rust. Then early morning Day 4 take train to Basel and activate Swiss Pass. Go to Bern or Thun for day excursion. And then in the afternoon proceed to Wengen to check-in hotel and stay there for 3 nights. So day 5 and 6 will be spent entirely around Jugfrau to include Jungfraujoch, Murren, Schlinthorn, Grindelwald and Lauterbrunnen before going back to Paris to spend the rest of my 10-days vacation.

in Wengen I plan to stay in Apartment Gertsch which is very close to railways station. And I check there is a Coop supermarket just few minutes walk.

If there are more suggestions and comments or tips are most welcome

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    21 December 2018 at 4:50:12 #900646

Hello again,

Yes, the Coop is just a stone’s throw from the train station. Very convenient. It is obviously nowhere as large as the ones you find in the large cities, but probably adequate for your needs. The one down in Lauterbrunnen is smaller, I would say, but if at some point you are passing through Grindelwald, there is a much larger one in the Eiger+ shopping mall. There is also a Volg in Grindelwald. The closest Migros are in Interlaken and nearby Wilderswil, so I would stick to the Coop.

Ashraf907
    Participant
    47 posts
    21 December 2018 at 5:02:19 #900647

Hi Peterli..

very useful info.

From your point of view which one is better to stay in late May, Wengen or Grindelwald. I know you will tell me both iare good depending on my prefernces and I cannot go wrong for either of them.

Murren is more beautiful but it will be very quiet at night with limited activity. I prefer the beauties, easiness of travel and some shops/eateries nearby. Therefore either Wengen or Grindelwald. Which one has the slight edge?

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    21 December 2018 at 5:29:16 #900648

Hi Ashraf,

I would choose Wengen without a second’s hesitation. The view of that river (Weisse Lütschine) valley as seen from Wengen has probably been my favourite ever since I was a student and started exploring Switzerland. It is smaller and more laid back than Grindelwald. Being free of cars is a big plus.

Ashraf907
    Participant
    47 posts
    21 December 2018 at 5:49:32 #900649

Thanks Peterli…

yeah I read most people vote for Wengen over Grindelwald. Just wonder why the latter seems to have more hotels if people prefer Wengen 😁.

Thanks for helping to convince that Wengen it is 😀

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    21 December 2018 at 6:03:24 #900650

The fact that Grindelwald has more hotels is because it has three times the population of Wengen and more importantly, it is accessible by automobile and bus, and so much easier for tourists to get there.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 December 2018 at 8:31:03 #900651

If you’ve decided on Wengen take a look at our hotel suggestions there: http://www.myswissalps.com/we ngen/hotels – a few great budget options there.

Ashraf907
    Participant
    47 posts
    21 December 2018 at 12:56:56 #900652

Hi Lucas and Peterli..

Thanks for your great assistance. I take note all your info and tips and will research further. Will seek your advice again

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    21 December 2018 at 20:49:44 #900653

And, conversely, the benefit of Wengen is that it is not accessible by bus or car, as you point out, which makes for a more “Swiss alpine village” experience.

Grindelwald has a much more commercial character. To each his own.

The view you mention, taken on an unusually clear June day back when people used film, is attached.

Slopoke

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    21 December 2018 at 20:57:06 #900654

<<“Hopefully I can get more info on cost of meal? I have read that even the sandwich cost ard CHF6-8. That means for 5 pax will total ard CHF35.”>>

This cost of living index will give you some more clues:

http://www.statista.com/stati stics/274326/big-mac-index-global-prices-for-a-big-mac/

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ Big_Mac_Index#Figures

The second link shows the highest and lowest prices around the world, in the table on the right.

Slowpoke

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    21 December 2018 at 21:30:50 #900655

Yes, Slowpoke, the converse (no buses or automobiles) with Wengen is very correct. However, let’s not forget that Wengen lives on tourism, and the number of village residents is far outnumbered by tourists. Everywhere you look you see something geared towards tourists, and although I did recommend Wengen over Grindelwald to somebody coming to Switzerland for the first time, I would personally stay in neither location. Yes, I’d pass through and see and photography the physical beauty, and then I would move on. I don’t think I would classify staying in Wengen as a “Swiss alpine village experience”, but that’s just my opinion. When I was a student, I spent a Summer based with some family friends in a small village in the Toggenburg, and I suspect I was the only stranger in town. So I experienced an authentic Swiss village. Of course, the question that poses itself is: “Where can one find a nice Swiss mountain location where one can stay, take it easy, perhaps go for walks, breathe the clean air, and possibly be the only non-resident around ?” Perhaps in some locations in the Valais ? My uncle used to go to Evolène and loved it. I don’t think Wengen fits the bill. Our friend asked opinions on Grindelwald or Wengen. I got the impression he is not interested in Mürren, although I would pick it before either of the other two. I guess I’m getting old !

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 December 2018 at 0:24:00 #900656

Apartments are better value for families, but are best value when booked for a whole week, eg via Interhome:

http://www.interhome.com/switzerland/bernese-oberland/wengen/?pax=5&sorting=ascPrice

Ashraf907
    Participant
    47 posts
    22 December 2018 at 1:23:16 #900657

Woww..

hi Slowpoke…

I tthink this statistic given is more accurately reflect the parity between cities like Singapore/Hong Kong/Dubai/Sydney and Switzerland. I have read some articles and statistics show Singapore and Hong Kong are more expensive or at par with Switzerland. But I been to those countries and I think those statistics include the price of property and car, which are very expensive there due to the high population density of those countries. The feedback from my relatives and friends who been to Europe are Europe in general is significantly more expensive than Singapore, which is reflected in the statistic you provided for the price of Big Mac 😁

Ashraf907
    Participant
    47 posts
    22 December 2018 at 1:34:15 #900658

Hi Pererli..

I agree with you. I am a mountain man and will love to stay in Murren or other more ‘local’ natural area. I have hiked and climbed a number of mountains around Asia. Actually I am also an ultra trail marathon runner. I have ran and finished a number of 50km and 100km mountain races. The ultimate target of ultra trail runner around the world is to qualify and race in the Ultra Trail Mont-Blanc. It is when I researched about UTMB that I fall in love with switzerland 😃.

But instead of running I decide to enjoy the Swiss Alps with my family. But my family will not survive without people/shops around 😆😆. Hence Wengen will give balance for them to enjoy

Ashraf907
    Participant
    47 posts
    22 December 2018 at 1:39:24 #900659

Hi 1960man..

Thank you. But 1 week is too long for me to stay in Switzerland due to budget constraint. My plan is 3-4 nights. CHF is very high compare to our currency. I may stay longer in the future for solo backpack travel. This time I have to control as I will need to feed and cover all the cost of 4 other people with me 😆

BarSal
    Participant
    113 posts
    22 December 2018 at 2:01:36 #900660

I found where we went in Switzerland on a par with Sydney prices for food and accommodation – that is inner Sydney (CBD). It then depends on where you are coming from as it took $A1.44 to buy one Swiss Franc but the cost (in Swiss Francs) was comparable to what we would pay for something. So a pizza that costs 20 swiss francs would cost $A20 in Sydney but cost us $A28. Accommodation in the major cities (especially Zurich) was as expensive as staying in Sydney with a view of the Sydney Harbour Bridge! We stayed in Zurich, Wengen, Lugano, Chur and Lucerne. I agree that for a family an apartment is definitely the way to go. Coop and Migros supermarkets are everywhere and have a fabulous selection.

I would do you home work and don’t cut your time short. Find a base and an apartment, buy a rail pass and take day trips on lake, mountains and towns. You won’t be disappointed.

Viewing 20 replies - 1 through 20 (of 35 total)
  • The thread ‘How expensive is Switzerland for a vacation?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.