How far ahead to reserve lodging in Switzerland?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 September 2018 at 23:42:39 #818329

I am planning to travel to Switzerland for about two weeks in July next year. As I was looking at lodging options, booking.com, Airbnb etc. I was surprised to see that there are places that are already booked for the time I will be there. I already made plane reservations as I found a deal I didn’t think I’d beat between now and next summer, so I know my dates and I could probably plan the whole trip out now. Do most people make lodging reservations nine or ten months out from a summer trip to Switzerland? For my last few trips I started planning and reserving in January or February.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 September 2018 at 7:19:11 #896064

Hi JackDuggan and welcome to MySwissAlps!

Some people return to the same hotel or lodge year after year and book their room for next year at time of check out this year. I would be surprised that any hotel is totally sold out for July already.

Do note, that hotels only release a set number of rooms to each booking aggregator so if booking. com has no rooms, other companies may still have rooms available. Hotelscombined.com for example.

If your flights are booked and your dates are set then I’d go ahead and feel free to book rooms now (especially if you aren’t booking non-refundable rooms).

I’m sure you’ll find rooms available in January though if you want to wait.

Arno
    15483 posts
    13 September 2018 at 8:46:50 #896065

Hi Jack,

In case you didn’t already, you can browse our manually selected hotels here: http://www.myswissalps.com/ho tels.

jatinsmehta
    Participant
    114 posts
    14 September 2018 at 6:24:57 #896066

Hi Jack,

I am going in August 2019 & I have already booked all my rooms. Direct booking is bit less as compared to any hotels booking portal.

andrew
    Participant
    147 posts
    15 September 2018 at 12:17:30 #896067

I second jatinsmehta. It’s always worth contacting hotels direct as they can usually match and often beat the prices of the agencies. I also have a theory, born out in practice, that direct bookers are treated better by the hotels: better rooms; better seats in the restaurant; better service from reception.

Swiss hotels also have quite late cancellation deadlines without penalty. Sometimes they’ll take a card number as deposit but sometimes not even that. Direct bookers are trusted too.

Andrew

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 September 2018 at 18:19:54 #896068

Thank you very much for the replies and advice. I, too, try to book directly; often after finding dates and prices from consolidator web sites.

• The thread ‘How far ahead to reserve lodging in Switzerland?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.