Should I buy Swiss train tickets in advance?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 January 2018 at 2:23:24 #813972

Hello

I plan to visit Switzerland in June and would like to know how far in advance I can buy tickets with a Swiss Half Fare Card? Are there any restrictions/limitations?

Thank you

Corina

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    8 January 2018 at 3:47:21 #873785

Hello Corina and Welcome to MySwissAlps,

You can buy tickets on-line a month prior to travel.

You can typically make reservations up to 90-days before travel on the major panoramic trains where reservations are mandatory. You don’t need reservations on regular Swiss trains.

You don’t need to buy the Swiss Half Fare Card before doing any of the above.

Just so long as you have a ticket, a reservation (if necessary) and your Swiss Half Fare Card when you board the train.

Buying tickets much in advance of your actual trips only make sense if you are absolutely sure you won’t make changes to your itinerary on the fly.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 January 2018 at 12:16:13 #873786

Thank you very much!

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    9 January 2018 at 0:55:39 #873787

Hi Corina-

To amplify Rockoyster’s comments, –

For travel within Switzerland, you do not need train reservations. There are plenty of seats available.

Exceptions – special scenic trains such as the Glacier Express and some special mountain transport ( for example, Jungraujoch on some days in tourist season).

Slowpokes

• The thread ‘Should I buy Swiss train tickets in advance?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.