How far in advance to order Swiss Half Fare/Pt2Pt

• traveljet
    Participant
    388 posts
    23 June 2017 at 10:21:22 #812373

Hi,

We will be travelling from Singapore to Switzerland from 16 September 2017 to 5 October 2017.

1. How far in advance can we order the Swiss Half Fare Card? I will be using the online delivery option.

2. Will they ask for the date of travel when we order it?

3. I will also be ordering Point to Point tickets. So I need to order the Half Fare Card before ordering the Point to Point tickets? Is there a column that wil require me to key in my half fare card reference or something like that as proof?

4. Am I correct that I can only purchase Point to Point tickets 30 days in advance. So if the tickets are for 1 October, I can only order on 1 September?

5. If the journey requires a few transfers, the Point to Point tickets will automatically include all the necessary transfers?

6. The point to point tickets are for travel only on a particular day I choose. However, I can choose any time as long as its on that day?

Thank you in advance.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15483 posts
    23 June 2017 at 10:42:59 #865645

Good to see you back here Traveljet!

1. You can already buy it if you like: myswissalps.com/ swisshalffarecard/ price.

2. Yes, they will ask for the first day you will start using the Swiss Half Fare Card.

3. No, the card and tickets are completely independent products without a reference to each other. All that matters is that you can show both of them when asked on the train.

4. Only the domestic SBB site has that limitation as far as I know. You can buy Swiss Half Fare Tickets from the sites listed here and regular tickets from the sites listed here. Those websites may not sell tickets to all towns, only to the larger towns. You can also buy tickets at the train station.

5. Yes.

6. Yes. There is an exception though in a few regions, where tickets are time limited when you buy them on the spot. In Zurich for example, single tickets can be valid for 2 hours from the moment you buy them or validate them.

traveljet
    Participant
    388 posts
    23 June 2017 at 11:26:50 #865646

Thanks Arno I will check out the sites.

• The thread ‘How far in advance to order Swiss Half Fare/Pt2Pt’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.