How long to spend in St. Prex on Lake Geneva?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Snowman
    Participant
    825 posts
    29 May 2019 at 20:33:23 #913577

Hello cc123

Congratulations for considering a place off the beaten track!

It’s all up to you of course. I would plead for a day trip. As shown in your link, there is plenty to see at St Prex, and if you are not under time pressure you’ll enjoy it more. End July is also a good time to go for a swim in the Lake.

Enjoy it!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 May 2019 at 0:09:18 #913578

Yeah! A big plus 1 to all Snowman’s comments. Nice to discuss somewhere different. I have spent much of my life frequenting villages along Lake Geneva, and swimming in the lake. Highly recommended

cc123
    Participant
    58 posts
    30 May 2019 at 5:27:08 #913579

i only have 1.5 days and will be based in etoy.

i arrive in etoy at around 150pm. Assuming I depart for Lutry on the 308pm train, I plan to hike the Lavaux vineyards (4h hike from lutry to st saphorin) for the rest of the day.

Not sure how many hours i should spend in st-prex as I’m also planning to visit geneva + i would like to purchase the supersaver tickets for st-prex – geneva. So that constrains my visiting duration to st-prex.

Someone on tripadvisor mentioned that 1-2hrs is all thats needed, while snowman mentioned its a day trip.

Snowman
    Participant
    825 posts
    30 May 2019 at 6:01:12 #913580

Well, some visit Jungfraujoch and Titlis on the same day. Or so I heard. You can indeed visit StPrex in 1 hour, or skip it altogether.

When we follow what people plan and what they end up doing we see that they often skip planned trips for the sake of relaxing a bit.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 May 2019 at 23:14:48 #913581

I don’t recommend skipping St Prex – it’s very pleasant. Personally I would limit your Lavaux ‘hike’.

My recommendation would be to go along the lake on a local train to St Saphorin, looking at the area to see what you might want a closer look at, then start walking back towards Lausanne or use the local train back and hop off at the other stations along that section for more localised walks

I’m sceptical of the benefit of a 4 hour walk along the lake in that area for several reasons:

• it can be very hot as there is little or no shade / trees
    • once you’ve seen one vineyard or row of vines, all the rest are pretty similar
    Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    31 May 2019 at 6:49:30 #913582

Hello cc123,

It is indeed nice when a traveler to Switzerland expresses an interest in some place very remote from the locations usually referred to in this forum. It is too bad that you only have one and a half days for your visit, as there is so much to see all along the shores of the Léman (not to mention places over on the French shore of the lake). If you plan to visit Geneva during this short time and also want to get the flavour of the area, I think you that you have to spread out the places you visit. Am I correct that you will not be travelling with a Swiss rail pass ? Although Saint-Prex is a nice place to visit (and close to Etoy), I think it would be a shame if you don’t visit some of the area to the east of Lausanne, such as Saint-Saphorin. This area is more accidented (much steeper terrain) than the area to the west of Lausanne and I would hope that if you were to see if, you would want to come back to this part of Switzerland for a longer period of time sometime soon.

I had to chuckle just a bit when I read the following from 1960man: << once you’ve seen one vineyard or row of vines, all the rest are pretty similar >>. Suppose I was to re-write it like this: “Once you’ve seen one mountain or a row of mountains, all the rest are pretty similar” ? I guess I’ll get some flack for saying this, since this forum is supposedly dedicated to promoting the Swiss Alps. Of course, there is a greater variety of shapes and views of mountains than grape vines, but I wish people didn’t feel they have to go to see pretty well every popular mountain (mostly in the Swiss-German part of the country) often to the exclusion of other places and activities. This is why I like to seize any opportunity to encourage visitors to get a more balanced view of Switzerland, including the oft-neglected French-speaking and Italian-speaking regions. And this is why I am glad that you, cc123, are going to be visiting part of Romandie.

Arno
    15482 posts
    31 May 2019 at 7:07:30 #913583

Here’s a hike east of Lausanne through the vineyards, just in case you want to change your plans: http://www.myswissalps.com/hi king/lutry-epesses.

cc123
    Participant
    58 posts
    31 May 2019 at 17:09:42 #913584

guess i’ll shorten the vineyard hike

http://www.familyearthtrek.co m/2017/10/26/hiking-the-lavaux-vineyards-in-colorful-autumn-switzerland/

“I don’t recommend doing in that direction because you will have the lake and the beautiful view on your back!”

this website suggested that one should hike from Lutry in the direction of st saphorin. Any thoughts?

Arno – yes i’ve read about that

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 June 2019 at 0:07:26 #913585

As per my first suggestion, just take a train to any of the local stations in the area and walk from them and around them. You can either walk along between two stations or take the train up the hill (ie on the Lausanne – Palezieux line) to – for example – Grandvaux.

Last year I walked from Grandvaux to Cully

Attached is the view I had from Grandvaux down towards the Epesses area

• The thread ‘How long to spend in St. Prex on Lake Geneva?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.