How many bases recommended for 11 days Swiss trip?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    31 May 2022 at 15:57:11 #827365

Hi Greetings! I will be arriving & departing from Zurich. I am hoping to cover as much of the country as I can in 11 days in June. Could you please suggest where to have a base & for how many days at each base, given the following:

Arrive at Zurich – Lucerne (Day 1)

Lucerne – city, Mt Pilatus (toboggan) , Mt Titlis (snow tubing)

Interlaken – Grindelwald – Wengen – Jungfraujoch, St Beatus caves, Trummelbach Waterfalls, Mt Schilthorn, Laterbrunnen valley, Kleine Scheidegg

Montreux – Chillon castle

Lausanne – Geneva – Zermatt – Matterhorn

Back to Zurich – Glacier Express – Rhine falls + city (Day 11)

Day 12 – International flight

Is this doable? Would you suggest a different order of route to see these places?

I love views of lakes with mountains.

Would it better to move from city to city – dread the packing & moving of heavy luggage every 2 days by rail. However, it will also take good amount of time to just travel back & forth from the same base.

Could you also please let me how where I can visit a chocolate factory (not chocolate museum) at a reasonable price? Is St Moritz worth seeing?

Would really appreciate any insights that you can offer! Look forward to hearing from you.

Thanking you in advance,

Sue

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Shroffchetan
    Participant
    255 posts
    31 May 2022 at 16:32:57 #942636

For your trip ideal bases will be Lucerne, Interlaken, Montreux. Zurich can be also a base if flights timings are early morning or late nights

I have not understood your question correctly for chocolate factory. We visited callier chocolate near Montreux

cheers

Anna
    6274 posts
    31 May 2022 at 19:12:14 #942637

Hi Swiss2022,

Your itinerary is doable. I agree with Schroffchetan. Based on your plans, I would pick Lucerne, Interlaken and Montreux as your base. And Zermatt too so you won’t miss the morning Glacier Express train. Spend some time in St Moritz if you can, or if you plan to explore the Graubunden region a little bit. Please use the SBB timetable to check train schedules and plan your journey.

If you wish to see a real chocolate factory, I highly recommend the Maison Cailler in Broc (near Montreux). Cailler is a very popular chocolate brand by the way.

Regards,

Anna

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    31 May 2022 at 23:43:28 #942638

Thank you Anna & Schroffchetan! How many nights would you recommend in Lucerne (we arrive the first day after a long haul flight in the afternoon in Zurich and further travel into Lucerne)? What about in Interlaken ?

Activities:

Lucerne – city, Mt Pilatus (toboggan) , Mt Titlis (snow tubing)

Interlaken – Grindelwald – Wengen – Jungfraujoch, St Beatus caves, Trummelbach Waterfalls, Mt Schilthorn, Laterbrunnen valley, Kleine Scheidegg

Also, may I know what is the mask wearing policy in Lucerne, Interlaken, Montreux, Zermatt & Zurich? I understand that it need to be worn on public transportation.

Any insights would be much appreciated!

Regards,

Sue

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 June 2022 at 19:30:40 #942639

Hi Sue,

at the moment you only need to wear masks at the hospitals or other health related institutes. So you do not need to wear masks on public transport (you can do if you want). For the up to date Covid rules please visit: http://www.myswissalps.com/forum/topic/does-the-corona-virus-affect-trips-to-switzerland.

I would stay maximum of 3 nights in Lucerne (or 1 night in Zurich, 2 nights in Lucerne), following 3-4 nights in the Jungfrau region, 1-2 nights in Montreux and 2 nights in Zermatt.

Ildiko

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 June 2022 at 22:07:00 #942640

Hi Ildiko,

That was very helpful! Appreciate your reply.

Regards,

Sue

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 June 2022 at 18:45:43 #942641

Hi Sue,

I’ve been to a health related institute today and no need to wear the masks either there. I guess they changed it recently. So at the moment no need to wear masks in Switzerland. 🙂 Please keep checking the first post in the Covid related thread for updates.

Happy and safe travel!

Ildiko

• The thread ‘How many bases recommended for 11 days Swiss trip?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.