How many rail passes for 6 days Interlaken/Wengen?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 June 2019 at 21:51:21 #822480

OK. Have done my best research on Swiss rail passes and such. However, I’d feel better with an expert confirming my thoughts. Here’s my itinerary:

Arriving to Zurich Airport on August 4-spend day in Zurich

August 5-train from Zurich to Interlaken-spend day in Interlaken

August 6–train from Interlaken to Lauterbrunnen and then to Wengen. Spend 6,7,8 in Wengen

August 9–train from Lauterbrunnen to Interlaken to Zurich

August 10-Depart ZRH to USA

My research says the best deal for me is to buy the Swiss Half-Fare Card and the Bernese Oberland Rail Pass for 3 days. I’m thinking of buying the Bernese pass as it provides a lower fare to Jungfraujolich with the Swiss Half-Fare card discount.

Does this make sense or am I missing something?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    25 June 2019 at 23:03:19 #916099

Hello Wabraeg and Welcome to MySwissAlps,

Have you read “How to choose the best travel pass” (http://www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/ticketspasses/prac tical/chooserailpass), download the handy spreadsheet calculator and do the math. The spreadsheet also includes links to all the available passes. Check the validity/coverage of each pass on those links.

I’m not sure the Swiss Half-fare Card is actually necessary bearing in mind it actually costs CHF240 before it starts making you any savings (CHF120 + CHF120 half-fare tickets to break even).

I would focus on a regional pass augmented by a Saver Day Pass (http://www.myswissalps.com/sa verdaypass and bit.ly/2rkekat) to get you between the region and Zurich.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 June 2019 at 23:14:55 #916100

Yes, you are missing something (you are not alone – this if often forgotten by other visitors to this forum). The Swiss half fare card costs money to purchase first, before it gives you a discount on any fare.

As such your plan probably does not include enough travel to warrant the purchase price so you should probably buy normal tickets plus the Bernese Oberland Pass

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 June 2019 at 23:42:57 #916101

Tks for your comments

• The thread ‘How many rail passes for 6 days Interlaken/Wengen?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.