How many Swiss regional train passes available

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 November 2019 at 12:11:43 #824476

I am aware of the Swiss Pass which is available for the whole of Switzerland but I was wondering are there any more types of passes? Something like the Tell Pass which is specific to a region.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 November 2019 at 14:32:05 #925220

Hello Ethan,

Thanks for your question on MySwissAlps!

There are different types of Swiss regional train passes available in Switzerland. I will include a detailed link of those passes for you to read, and as well as the different train passes for all of Switzerland.

Here is a link to help you decide which train passes to pick, along with a downloadable excel spreadsheet so you can “do the math.”

Good luck!

Best regards,

Suzanne

pvonk
    Participant
    378 posts
    17 November 2019 at 22:24:08 #925221

The “Swiss Pass” is for locals, not visitors. You’re probably thinking of the Swiss Travel Pass, which is for visitors: http://www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/ticketspasses/prac tical/swisspass

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    17 November 2019 at 23:36:40 #925222

Hi Ethan,

Over and above the regional passes, that Suzanne has linked to, there are also some quite useful free “passes” in certain regions.

The Ticino Ticket offers quite extensive free travel in that region. The Montreux Riviera Card is also quite useful if you are staying around Montreux.

There is a Panorama Card around Interlaken but it’s confined to buses.

Most major cities have a card which provides free local transport.

These are all free if you stay at a hotel in the respective area.

Try Google for details.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 November 2019 at 0:03:03 #925223

The Appenzell card is one of the better ‘free’ cards given to you with accomodation in the region. Very good coverage, giving free trains and buses (unlike the stingy Interlaken one you mention) and lots of free and discounted attractions

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    18 November 2019 at 1:45:01 #925224

Good to know. I forgot to also mention the Neuchâtel Card which I used extensively in October. Got us all the way to Les Brenets. Although I guess Neuchâtel is probably not a common base for most tourists. We loved it.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 November 2019 at 1:09:20 #925225

Yes, Neuchatel is one of those ‘criminally’ under-visited Swiss towns

• The thread ‘How many Swiss regional train passes available’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.