How much Swiss francs to carry in cash

• Boogieman
    Participant
    4 posts
    5 July 2019 at 13:33:19 #822671

How much cash should my wife and I carry? We will be using a credit card as much as possible during our 9 day trip.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7124 posts
    5 July 2019 at 17:57:55 #916985

Hi Boogieman,

Most services and shops will accept credit cards, especially in larger towns and touristy areas. If you’re traveling to remote towns/areas and visit local shops or restaurants, mountain huts, small cable car companies, etcetera, you may need cash. I personally prefer to carry along about CHF 100,- per person. You can easily withdraw more cash from ATM’s if necessary. Please see myswissalps.com/swissf ranc.

Boogieman
    Participant
    4 posts
    5 July 2019 at 20:59:59 #916986

Thank you kindly, Annika.
    I will take your advice.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    5 July 2019 at 23:21:32 #916987

I saw your cousin in the Lötschental.

The local version of the creatures that walk in the night is a Tschäggätä.

Slowpoke

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    6 July 2019 at 6:52:23 #916988

Hi Boogieman –

If you are coming in through Zürich airport, as of June 2019 the Credit Suisse ATM just outside the arrival hall ( on the left) is still there, as described in this thread:

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/atmforex-at-zurich-airport.

Slowpoke

Maloja_Snake
    Participant
    82 posts
    6 July 2019 at 8:29:57 #916989

Having just returned from a two week Swiss excursion, by car, I can’t speak to your question about how much currency to carry; But I do recommend always carrying a few coins (1’s 2’s and 5’s). Public restroom use some time require a two Franc cost; in supermarkets, where I often got lunch, usually require a 2 Franc deposit to release the shopping cart.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 July 2019 at 11:36:09 #916990

Good day, we ( 3 adults) will be arriving at Zurich Airport on the 6th of September 2019, and have rented a car for collection at the Airport. I would like to find out please- what are the fuel prices at the moment to fill a car? I rented a BMWx1.

We will be staying at the Dorint Bluemlisalp Hotel in Beatenberg, Interlaken until the 17th of September 2019. What day trips would you recommend per car and will we be able to cross borders in to neighboring counties with our Schengen VISA’s ? we have stayed Beatenberg in 2010 and traveled with a very rushed Tour group, but we would now like to explore the lovely area on our own in a more relaxed manner. We have been to Zurich, Lucerne, Bern, Meringen , Schiltron and Jaunfraujoch on our previous trips what else would you recommend please? Will we still need a Swiss Travel Pass and how much cash do we need to carry with us per day please?

Kind Regards, Henriette Geyer

Arno
    15484 posts
    8 July 2019 at 11:45:36 #916991

Hi Chrischen,

Welcome to MySwissAlps! Can you please submit a new thread for your questions? This thread is about something else. Please see http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/rules. Thank you!

• The thread ‘How much Swiss francs to carry in cash’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.