Upgrade & seat for Gotthard Panorama Express

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 September 2019 at 0:36:24 #823832

Hi – I have purchased a Swiss Rail travel pass for my travel in Switzerland. For one of the days I plan to take the 9:23 Gotthard Panorama Express from Lugano to Lucern. I know that i need to upgrade to 1st and reserve a seat however I can’t find the site to do it on. I see a link to the Happy Trails site, is this the official place to buy the upgrade? I am also not sure which option to chose on the site, there is 09.23-10.51 | Lugano-Airolo and 09.23-11.47 | Lugano-Flüelen, I think I want the second one? Do I then need to buy something else for the boat?

Thanks!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    12 September 2019 at 1:51:27 #922114

Hello Pam,

You can indeed buy the 2nd Class upgrade and seat reservation at http://www.myswissalps.com/go tthardpanoramaexpress/ packages.

You want the Lugano to Flüelen train.

You can also buy same from SBB as follows:

If you are travelling with a 2nd Class Swiss Travel Pass but want to travel 1st Class on any particular trip you can buy a Class upgrade at any SBB station or using the SBB Mobile App or here bit.ly/2rZEIXh. You need to buy a route specific upgrade.

If you buy on line you need to nominate a Swiss Half Fare Card reduction to get the correct price (using either website of SBB app). An upgrade will cost half the difference between 1st and 2nd class full-fares.

For seat reservations you want Lugano to Flüelen via Göschenen.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 September 2019 at 5:30:18 #922115

Hi Pam8,

you can do the upgrade from 2nd class to 1st and seat reservation via Happy Rail at https://www.happyrail. com/en/. You need to pick from the “2nd (upgrade+ reservation)” column, if you have a 2nd class Swiss Travel Pass. I have attached a picture for you (circled with red your column).

See also:

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    12 September 2019 at 5:44:29 #922116

According to the SBB Timetable the train actually departs Lugano at 9:22 so don’t be late!

A point-to-point class upgrade will cost you CHF17.50 from SBB.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 September 2019 at 22:37:58 #922117

Thanks for the info. I have purchased the 52 chf upgrade+reservation via Happy Trails. Do I also need to do something else to reserve my seat? And do I need to do something additional for the boat ride or is that just covered by my swiss travel pass?

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    12 September 2019 at 22:42:09 #922118

You are good to go, Pam.

The boat trip is fully covered by the STP and reservations are not possible. If you want to enjoy the upper deck you will need a 1st Class upgrade. But you can buy that onboard if you decide to do that.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 September 2019 at 12:10:23 #922119

Thanks all!

Last question, I received my seat reservation overnight from happy trails. Looks like it is one ticket for both people in my group and both our names are printed on it. I see the coach number and it says 02window. Does this mean I have two random window seats in this coach or is it row #2?

Annika
    7124 posts
    13 September 2019 at 13:04:41 #922120

Hi Pam8! Great that you’ve arranged for your reservations through HappyRail (not Happy Trails :-)). Seat reservations are for fixed seats, so the numbers should point to specific rows/seats, not to two random window seats. Things will probably be clear once you board the train, but if you’re unsure you could contact HappyRail (http://www.myswissalps.com/ab outus/partners/happyra il), or attach a screenshot of your reservations here.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    13 September 2019 at 23:01:32 #922121

Attached is what my reservation looked like, in that case the seat numbers were 61 an 62.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 September 2019 at 12:26:05 #922122

Ah thank you! After seeing the picture of your ticket I went back and looked at my own and see the seat numbers now. Too much planning, going a bit silly 😉

• The thread ‘Upgrade & seat for Gotthard Panorama Express’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.