How to buy tickets on Swiss Travel Pass

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    31 December 2017 at 2:12:00 #813900

Hi,

We are family of 4, 2 adults and 2 children (7, 14) travelling to Switzerland in March 2018.

We fly into Zurich on 25th March @ 7am and we will spend our 4 days in Wengen.

On 29th March we will leave Wengen early morning to travel to Venice. However, we will stop in Milan for a 1/2 a day to see ‘The Last Supper’ and Duomo.

The train that I’m looking at is 07:03 from Wengen via Spiez, Brig and reaches Milano Centrale at 11:37 am.

I will book a Frecciarossa high-speed train from Milano Centrale (which leaves after 6pm) to Venice separately.

When we are in Wengen–

1. We will visit Schilthorn

2. Day trip to Lucerne

3. Boat ride in either Interlaken or Lucerne

4.Visit Jungfraujoch

5.Visit Cheese and Chocolate factory

#5 above is dependent on if we can achieve all of 1-4 on on our list.

Please can someone confirm that I can use Swiss Travel Pass for —

1. All of the above (25% off on Jungfraujoch)?

2. Train travel from Zurich to Wengen on 25th March

3. Train travel from Wengen to Domodossala (Italian border). How do I purchase the ticket for the part of journey between Domodossala and Milano Centrale?

Advance ticket purchase —

Do I need to book advance tickets for —

1. Zurich to Wengen

2. Wengen to Milano Centrale?

When I use the SBB website the discount ticket drop down box doesn’t list Swiss Travel pass.

Thanks for your time

Megha

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    31 December 2017 at 9:50:06 #873344

Hi Megha,

You don’t need to buy any tickets if you have the Swiss Travel Pass. Just hop on the trains and go!

1. Correct – you do need to buy a ticket to Jungfraujoch (as you not you get a 25% discount). You can buy it online or at the rail station before boarding a train. I would buy the ticket the day of travel (or day before) to make sure the weather looks good at the top.
    2. Yes
    3. Yes. You can buy your ticket from Domodossola to Milan online here. Just show the ticket to anyone who asks after the train leaves Domodossola.
    1. No
    2. No. You can find the train schedule from Wengen to Milan here. You don’t buy tickets as I noted above because the Swiss Travel Pass is your ticket (except to Jungfraujoch). You just need an extra ticket to cover the Italian portion of the train trip (see #3 above).
    rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    31 December 2017 at 10:10:38 #873345

Hi Megha,

You wrote “When I use the SBB website the discount ticket drop down box doesn’t list Swiss Travel pass.

If you have a have a 2nd Class Swiss Travel Pass just nominate the GA 2Cl reduction (that’s the Swiss domestic equivalent of the STP). I don’t remember the exact terminology.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    31 December 2017 at 10:28:57 #873346

Hi Lucas, rockouyster

Thank you very much for your response. much appreciated.

I’ll buy the STP from http://www.raileurope.co.nz so that I can use local currency and print at home tickets.

This should cover Switzerland for me.

And then Domodossala to Milan ticket separately.

Thanks,

Megha

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    31 December 2017 at 21:27:24 #873347

Hi MeghaB

I note your interest in Lake Boat Travel.

Lake boats in Switzerland have substantially reduced schedules in Winter, and on some lakes, none at all. Full schedules generally resume toward the end of May, and have varying frequencies in the Spring, depending on the lake chosen. You’l have better luck on Lake Lucerne.

Here is the timetable for the boats on Lake Lucerne (der Vierwaldsättersee) and those available from Interlaken on either of the two lakes…Brienz and Thun (der Brienzersee and der Thunersee).

http://www.lakelucerne.ch/en/ timetable-fares/timetable/

http://www.bls.ch/en/fahren/u nterwegs-mit/schiff/fahrplan

Lake boat timetables for the Brienzersee seem to be separate, or else are not showing because of the season on the above linked site that should show both lakes. This might do the trick:

http://www.giessbach.ch/en/la ke-brienz-boat-schedule.html

Check for the appropriate seasonal schedules. There is a fair amount of additional information on those websites, if you wish to check for it.

I cannot find service on the Brienzersee in March on random dates next year. I also checked the “advanced” option on the SBB timetable:

http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

I selected ships only, on March 30th, a Saturday (best chance during the off-season) from Interlaken Ost to Brienz. No luck. Check again as you get closer to the date. It may be too early in the year.

In March down under, you’ll be in Fall, heading into Winter. In March in the high Alps…at high elevations, they will still be skiing. It will be the tail end of Winter even at lower elevations.

http://www.myswissalps.com/ab outswitzerland/nature

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 January 2018 at 1:59:46 #873348

>> Lake boat timetables for the Brienzersee seem to be separate, or else are not showing because of the season

The boats on the Brienzersee operate from 30 Mar until 21 Oct 2018, so they will not be operating when Megha is there.

There will be one service daily in each direction on Lake Thun between Thun and Interlaken West though – departing Thun at 11:40 and Interlaken West at 14:10.

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 January 2018 at 5:49:01 #873349

What do you select if you have a 1st class pass?

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    1 January 2018 at 6:08:21 #873350

Choose the reduction that says GA 1st cl . . . . (see attached).

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 January 2018 at 6:11:31 #873351

Thank you!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 January 2018 at 7:32:47 #873352

Hi slowpoke,

If I were to do a boat ride, is there one that’s preferable?

I’m happy to do one in Lucern or Interlaken OST. However I think we might be able to get couple of hours max really.

I was looking at these round trips from Lucerne – http://www.lakelucerne.ch/fil eadmin/lakelucerne/con tent/Dokumente_Downloa ds_PDF/01_Fahrplan-Preise/01_Fahrplan/Aus flugsfahrplan/2018/01_ Winter_Dez_Apr/Rundfah rten_Ausfluege_Luzern_ Winter_Dez_April_2018. pdf

Which one would be a nice one or are they all same?

Do we get a chance to get off somewhere or just sit in the boat?

I had a look at this timetable too–

http://www.lakelucerne.ch/fil eadmin/lakelucerne/con tent/Dokumente_Downloa ds_PDF/01_Fahrplan-Preise/01_Fahrplan/Sai sonaler_Fahrplan/2018/ 2018_Fahrplan_Winter.p df

Which one would be a good one from this?

We will be coming from Wengen to Lucern. So we’ll probably have limited time.

Please can you suggest something so it will be easier to decide.

if we were to do the Thun or Brienz boat ride which one should we do? If I take a boat from Interlaken West to Thun how do I come back from Thun?

And all of these boat rides will be covered in STP?

Thanks,

Megha

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    2 January 2018 at 11:12:01 #873353

Megha-

<<“if we were to do the Thun or Brienz boat ride which one should we do? If I take a boat from Interlaken West to Thun how do I come back from Thun?”>>

Note the post from Alpenrose.

None are available on Lake Brienz until after you leave.

That helps narrow the choices.;-)

You are looking at exactly the correct timetables for Lake Lucerne. You know when you will be there and how much time you have.

If you can squeeze in a trip as far as Beckenried, that would be nice. It gets you almost into the southern arm of the lake ( the Urnersee) . The very southernmost part as far as Flüelen is the most scenic, I believe. You don’t have time to do that. The shorter trips to Alpnach aren’t too bad…you get to see a bit of the nicer mountains and can catch a train back to speed up the process. Kehrsiten-Bürgenstock is really a shuttle boat to/from the base of the funicular that goes up to the mountain resort on top of Bürgenstock. That might interest you. Quick up and down. A couple of pictures in the thread about Hammetschwand linked below are relevant. In the one with the arrow pointing to Hammetschwand, look to the right to see the Bürgenstock hotels in the saddle of the ridge. They have been replaced by newer fancier ones.

After Beckenried, I’d pick Vitznau. 1 hour each way. frequent service.

I posted a description of a hike around Treib, (which is near near Beckenried), and Bauen.

There are pictures in there showing something of the scenery in that area. You won’t have time to do the hike. If you want o add time taken away from the city of Luzern, you could take the boat further to Treib, ride the funicular up to Seelisberg, turn right around and come back dow, then take a boat back to Luzern, or across the lake to Brunnen, train back to Luzern. That would take quite a bit more time.

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/the-swiss-path-and-southern-lake-lucerne

You won’t have time to go to Hammetschwand. There is a necessary walk of 30 or so minutes each way.

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/the-hammetschwand-lift

Check the images.

It would be simpler if you could find a good time on the Thunersee. Fewer choices., closer to your base. Possibility of completing the journey around the lake by train or bus.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 January 2018 at 11:30:14 #873354

Hi Megha,

As per Alpenrose’s post earlier, the boats on the Brienzersee will not be operating when you are there.

I can recommend a boat trip on Lake Thun. I’ve just been on one last week. In addition to the service Alpenrose is talking about, you may want to check out the afternoon round trips that run daily from 10 to 29 March 2018. There’s a short trip that leaves Thun at 13.10 and comes back in Thun at 14.20. More information can be found here: http://www.bls.ch/en/fahren/u nterwegs-mit/schiff/nachmittags rundfahrt.

From Interlaken there’s a train to Thun (an the other way around) which takes 28 minutes. The cruise begins just opposite Thun’s rail station. For train times please use the Swiss timetable. Your boat ride is covered by the Swiss Travel Pass.

I would say that all boat trips are different. Even the same trip can be different the next day. The light on the lakes is constantly changing. I would not just stay in the boat but would also get on the deck of the boat for the best views.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 January 2018 at 1:36:59 #873355

Thank you so much for your valuable information.

We have 3.5 days in Wengen and being a mountain region and in-between season, it’s really difficult to plan out everything. It’s like visiting any of the mountains here in New Zealand. We plan for 4 days only in the mountains hoping to get couple of clear days!

We will be definitely visiting Lucern and should be there by 11 am if not before. So probably look for a cruise in the afternoon.

I quite liked these ones–

1. Luzern – Kehrsiten-Bürgenstock – Bürgenstock Resort and back idea. There is a boat at 12:15 and 1:45 which I think we could take. And come back on a 2:30, 4:00pm boat back to Lucern. (hope I’m reading the timetable correctly).

2. Luzern – Vitznau boat leaving at 1:12 and then take the boat from Vitznau leaving at 3:49. This reaches Lucern back at 4:47pm. (hope I’m reading the timetable correctly).

Other than the 2 above there is the daily afternoon boat on Thun.

(#1 above sounds really simple)

A quick question, can we ride the funicular to the top of Burgenstock Restaurant using our STP? we can have a drink in lake view restaurant perhaps. Hammetschwand looks so beautiful…The lift is not covered in STP, however if its a beautiful clear day we could pay to do the lift and save us the hike to enjoy the views.

Does this sound like a plan? If it’s all good, I’ll update my trip notes to the family.

Thank you so much for your time.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    3 January 2018 at 1:59:00 #873356

Hi Megha B-

<<“can we ride the funicular to the top of Burgenstock Restaurant using our STP? we can have a drink in lake view restaurant perhaps.”>>

Yes, you can ride it to the fancy resort at the end of the funicular line. No, you cannot ride it to Hammetschwand, the rustic restaurant. Don’t know about the STP on that funicular for sure, but I’m 95% sure it will cover it.

<<“<<“Hammetschwand looks so beautiful…The lift is not covered in STP, however if its a beautiful clear day we could pay to do the lift and save us the hike to enjoy the views.”>>”>>

I was not very clear about Hammetschwand; the links discussed this point,but I should have stated it specifically. You cannot get to Hammetschwand without a significant walk of some sort. That is why I said you would not have time to do that.

Also, I temporarily forgot when you were travelling. It will not be open until sometime in May.

This quite useful map will help you understand the geography:

map.geo.admin.ch/?topic=ech&lang=en&bgLa yer=ch.swisstopo.pixel karte-farbe&layers=ch.bav.ha ltestellen-oev,ch.swisstopo.swiss tlm3d-wanderwege&layers_visi bility=false,false&E=2 672867.74&N=1206022.71 &zoom=10

Zoom back out to see the surroundings. I have zoomed way in to pinpoint the location of the lift.

You can switch back and forth between the map view and an aerial photograph view. Itis a useful exercise.

It s slightly confusing that the name of the whole mountain is Bürgenstock, but the resort has taken the same name for itself.

Slowpoke

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    3 January 2018 at 2:07:14 #873357

The funicular will cost you CHF25 according to the Bürgenstock brochure (http://www.lakelucerne.ch/fil eadmin/lakelucerne/con tent/Dokumente_Downloa ds_PDF/02_Angebote/13_ Rundfahrten_und_Ausflü ge/Leporello_Buergenst ock_Shuttle.pdf). It doesn’t mention STP but the domestic GA price would be the same for STP (I think but then again this http://www.swissholidayco.com /excursions/central-switzerland/burgenstoc k.aspx says CHF25 to top of Hammetschwand Lift so who knows).

The brochure also says “Celebrate Happy Hour high above Lake Lucerne and relax at the new Bürgenstock resort. This package deal includes same day return travel by ferry and funicular any time after 15:15, plus a complimentary drink at a Bürgenstock restaurant. Flat rate CHF 36.– per person. For more information please consult our website lakelucerne.ch or inquire at one of our sales offices.” although that offer may be more appropriate in the Summer.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    3 January 2018 at 6:06:31 #873358

I had a bit more of a scratch around for info on the Bürgenstock Funicular and the Swiss Travel Pass but didn’t find anything definitive so I’m sticking with my earlier prediction that it is a CHF25 round trip with STP. The funicular doesn’t feature on the Area of Validity map. The boat of course is “free”. See also http://www.lakelucerne.ch/en/ offers/excursions/buer genstock/

You may even get to go on the new shuttle ship (http://www.shiptec.ch/fileadm in/_processed_/8/9/csm _BUE16_-_170130_BUE_05_2291637 394.jpg)

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    3 January 2018 at 13:37:46 #873359

Hi Rockoyster –

<<“so I’m sticking with my earlier prediction that it is a CHF25 round trip with STP.”>>

Makes sense. I’ll bet that if you stay at the nice hotels up there, you get a free ride on the funicular. 😉

Slowpoke

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    4 January 2018 at 20:05:33 #873360

Should have thought to check this earlier but the GA validity map actually shows Bürgenstock with the funicular as 50% discount. http://www.sbb.ch/content/dam /sbb/de/pdf/abos-billette/abonnemente/g a/karte-geltungsbereich-ga-halbtax-stand-dezember2016_en_barrie refrei.pdf

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 January 2018 at 7:29:39 #873361

>> so I’m sticking with my earlier prediction that it is a CHF25 round trip with STP.

Yes, although the funicular isn’t included on the 2018 Swiss Travel Pass validity map, I have seen other official information that states that the Swiss Travel Pass provides a 50% discount, which is indeed CHF 25 return.

Bus 321 to and from Stanstad Bahnhof (railway station) is an alternative means of transport one or both ways. The bus stop near the Bürgenstock resort is called Bürgenstock, Zentrum. Travel on the bus is free with the Swiss Travel Pass of course, and the service is more or less hourly, with different schedules for weekdays and weekends/public holidays. The trip takes less than 20 minutes, and services from the resort back to Stanstad Bahnhof run until shortly after midnight.

Locals (as reported by the press) were very unhappy with the high price of the funicular. In an online poll on the Luzerner Zeitung newspaper website, 85% of 864 participants said they would take the bus or go to a different mountain instead, rather than pay the high fare.

Alpenrose

Arno
    15483 posts
    5 January 2018 at 8:09:43 #873362

I just checked and “Bürgenstock Bahn AG” is discounted by 50% for Swiss Travel Pass holders. It’s indeed not on the map unfortunately.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    5 January 2018 at 10:23:08 #873363

<<“Bus 321 to and from Stanstad Bahnhof (railway station) is an alternative means of transport one or both ways.”>>

Hi Alpenrose-

That is a nice train ride, and a the bus ride will have some nice views, but I recall a special interest in taking the lake boat…..?

The road up from Stanstad is kind of twisty…interesting to ride a bus on it.

Slowpoke

Viewing 20 replies - 1 through 20 (of 23 total)
  • The thread ‘How to buy tickets on Swiss Travel Pass’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.