How to find a hotel and transport in Switzerland?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 August 2017 at 16:43:13 #812875

Hello! This is my first time using an open forum such as this and I was uncertain which forum to put this in, so I decided this one would work best.

I am a student from the United States who will be studying abroad in Florence this fall semester. I have been abroad a few times before, but this will be my first time alone. For my trip, I am flying in and out of the Zurich airport. I will be staying in Zurich for a few days before catching a bus from Zurich Central Station (Sihlquai Car Park) at 3 am to go to Milan to Florence. I was wondering if anyone had suggestions nowhere to stay for the three nights I will be in Switzerland. I have been researching hostels and hotels and have found a few options, but am uncertain which will work bests. Does anyone have any suggestions?

On top of this, I am uncertain where to stay during the day with all of my luggage until my bus leaves. From my understanding, the bus stop if rather out in the open. I am not opposed to sitting outside for awhile waiting for it, but am rather uncomfortable doing so in the middle of the night. Does anyone know if I would be able to stay inside the train station until closer to my departure time?

I also was wondering if this bus station was deemed safe, as in I should not be concerned about catching a 3 am bus, or if there is anything I should look out for.

Thank you!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 August 2017 at 9:34:17 #867996

Hi abbias and welcome to MySwissAlps!

Do I understand correctly that you are planning to stay in Zurich for the 3 days you are in Switzerland? Or are you hoping to visit another town before returning to Zurich for your bus to Florence?

Have read through our Zurich city page here, for details on what to do and where to stay.

Another option would be to slowly make your way to Italy by train, stopping at a town or two along the way. IE one day in Zurich, then train to Luzern for example for 1 night and another night in Interlaken or Montreux before heading on to Italy.

What are you hoping to see and do in Switzerland? If you are looking for mountain scenery Zurich is not a good place to stay at. I would look at Luzern or Interlaken or Lauterbrunnen as better options.

Yes, if I was waiting until 3am for a bus I would wait in the train station (it is only a few hundred meters from the bus station). It doesn’t close and there would be some benches to use. I haven’t spent time in downtown Zurich in the middle of the night, but it is a very safe city – if I had to hang out in a city at 3am, a Swiss city would be at the top of my list for safety.

Lucas

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    9 August 2017 at 1:39:58 #867997

Hi Abbias –

You can store your luggage for a fee at the Left goffice at Zürich main station…closes during the night.

Or, you can use lockers at Zürich main station..they never close. However,bags left in lockers for some period of time…maybe 24 hours, maybe longer…are removed and taken to the Left Luggage office.

If you stay in Zürich at a hotel they will often hold your luggage.

As Lucas indicated, it could be desirable and cheaper to travel in stages. Zürich is not the cheapest city in Switzerland.

More details about your plans on where to stay ( you do not say why you chose Zürich) and travel plans could possibly allow us to offer suggestions. I don’t know pricing for the 3AM bus, but trains might work for you. Probably will cost more.

Slowpoke

• The thread ‘How to find a hotel and transport in Switzerland?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.