How to find economical travelling from Zurich

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 February 2017 at 20:05:18 #810721

We two brothers are planning to travel Switzerland first time with 3 days tour plan as below. ( Travelling in 3’rd week of Feb-2017 )

Day -1 — We wish to start our journey from Zurich to Engelberg via train . From there we want to have excursion to Mount Titlis ( Top ) by Gondola, Cable car etc.. and return back to Engelberg for night stay.

Day 2 – We wish to start early morning from Engelberg to Interlaken by train to have excursion to jungfraujoch by mountain train .( Upward journey via Grindelwald route and downward journey via Wengen ). Then back to Interlaken for night stay.

Day 3 – We wish to start early morning from Interlaken to Zurich by train and from Zurich to Feldkirch ( Austria ) by train.

Please suggest whether Swiss Travel pass / Half Fare pass or any such combination or other ticket options can be preferred to obtain best possible discounts for above complete tour route.

Also please advise for possibility of buying above passes online in advance and same can be collected at Zurich Airport upon arrival. If yes , Please provide details for easy approach to counters to receive them.

Thanks.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    2 February 2017 at 22:40:42 #858661

Hi Atharva98-

Welcome to My Swiss Alps.

You have packed a lot of Swiss scenery into a quick trip.

I’m not an expert on the rail passes, but this link may help you get started:

http://www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/ticketspasses

If you only have one day at the Jungfrau, you may find the the weather on high is cloudy. For best possibility of good visibility, it is wise to stay a few days in the region. I know that you cannot do that, but the weather in that area can change rapidly, and may be good in the morning and cloudy in the afternoon, for example.

Slowpoke

Arno
    15484 posts
    3 February 2017 at 8:27:53 #858662

Hi atharva98,

I would think the Swiss Half Fare Card works out a bit cheaper than the 3-day Swiss Travel Pass. You can print the Swiss Half Fare Card at home through http://www.swissrailways.com/ en. After filling out your address, they will show the delivery options. Pick “Online Ticket” from the bottom of the list. They will e-mail the pass within 3 business days (usually 1). Once you printed it you can skip waiting for the manned ticket office and get your discounted tickets straight from the machines, or buy them online.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 February 2017 at 9:46:47 #858663

Dear Slowpoke

Thanks for your all information about weather conditions , but as you all understand limited days available and we have to explore best possible Switzerland among it… Let us see..

Dear Arno

Thanks for providing Swiss Half fare card as a better option for above tour program. Just to know little bit more… Will this Swiss Half fare card be useful for mountain rails , Gondola , Cable cars during as mentioned above tour route .. Grateful to receive information about Online availability of Swiss Half Fare ticket ..

Definitely We shall take this option as suggested.

Thanks a lot !!

Arno
    15484 posts
    3 February 2017 at 10:33:51 #858664

Hi atharva98,

If you click to the first link in my previous post you will find detailed information about the Swiss Half Fare Card: how it works, a map of what’s included, how to buy, etc. Just let me know if any questions remain after going through that page.

• The thread ‘How to find economical travelling from Zurich’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.