How to find glacier in Eigergletscher?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 June 2017 at 7:31:04 #812454

Me and my wife will be visiting interlaken on 11 & 12July.

Our trip Itinerary is as follows:

11july:

We will ride from Zurich by train and reach Interlaken by 11Am.

1. Funicular Ride upto Harderkulm and return

2. Strolling around Interlaken township.

12 July:

1. Train from wilderswil to wengen

2. Cable car from wengen to mannlichen

3. Hike from mannlichen to Eigergletscher

4. Walk on the glacier,play with the ice in around Eigergletscher and take pictures.

5. Hike from Eigergletscher to kleine scheidegg.

6. Train from Kleine Scheidegg to Grindelwald

7. Explore grindelwald area

8. Train from grindelwald to wilderswill.

Basically I want to make a cost effective plan.My queries are:

a. Jungfrauch top trip is expensive. So We have not planned that. But we want to walk over white glacier,touch the ice with our hands. Is there any way to do that from Eigergletscher as we will go upto Eigergletscher? Or is there any short hike from Eigergletscher to enjoy this lifetime experience?

b. What is the cable car fare from Wengen to Mannlichen? The Mannlichen website is not functioning in my area.

c. Following my itinerary will it be wise to hike from Eigergletscher to Grindelwald?How long will be the distance then and will it be easy?

d. What is the lake thun cruise fare and how much time does it take to finish the cruise?

e. What is the cost of funicilar ride to harderkulm from interlaken OST?

Is there any interesting thing I missed out during my trip plan or you can suggest to do in between in a cost effective way.

Advanced thanks for the wise and experienced replies.We are looking forward to plan our trip with the help of these suggestions.

Cheerz

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15483 posts
    29 June 2017 at 15:13:52 #865972

Welcome to MySwissAlps Zihan!

I think you can get more out of your day on July 11. Interlaken itself is not that interesting. You may want to consider a boat trip on Lake Brienz or Lake Thun before or after visiting Harder Kulm.

As for your questions:

a. No, sorry, you cannot reach the glacier from Eigergletscher. Attempts to do so are very risky. Approaching a glacier or worse, walking on it, is very dangerous. If you want to touch snow and ice in summer you will have to go up to Jungfraujoch. There is a marked route up there where you can safely walk on the glacier. You can have a walk near the Eigergletscher train stop and look at the glacier and the mountains from a safe distance.

b./e. Fares can be found through the link under “More information” on myswissalps.com/jungfr aujoch/tickets.

c. This is a very nice route if you are used to long hikes in the mountains. I would guess it takes 3.5 hours without breaks, and it is a lot of descending! If you have no hiking experience the 2 hours to get just to Alpiglen (the “Eiger Trail“) will already be pretty strenuous.

d. Please see myswissalps.com/boatla kethun for details and links to timetables and fares.

Does this help you out?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 June 2017 at 0:28:03 #865973

Thanks a lot Arno for your expert opinion. Definitely these piece of information will be help me a lot.

1. I have heard that there is a short hike trip to alpen to somthing loke thay where I will be able to walk over glacier and touch the snow. Can you please clarify me about this.

2. Is there any other place which is very close to interlaken to enjoy the walk over glacier other then Jungfraujoch?

3. With the website link what you have provided I could not find out the cable fare price of Wegen to manllichen?may be its the problem with my country server. Can ypu please enlight me about the price from wengen to manllichen.

thanks is advance.

Have a good day

Zihan

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 June 2017 at 1:44:00 #865974

>> Jungfrauch top trip is expensive. So We have not planned that. But we want to walk over white glacier,touch the ice with our hands. Is there any way to do that from Eigergletscher as we will go upto Eigergletscher?

Hi Zihan,

Arno has explained that you cannot walk on or get close enough to touch the Eigergletscher. I have attached a couple of photos that show the Eigergletscher and surrounding terrain, which might help to explain why you cannot walk on it. There is also a photo of walkers on the hiking trail below the Eigergletscher. These photos were taken from the Eigergletscher railway station and restaurant.

I have also attached some photos taken at the Jungfraujoch: a photo of the marked route to the Mönchsjochhütte across the Aletschgletscher at the Jungfraujoch; the Plateau area, where you can walk out onto the snow; and the Ice Palace. When you are in the Ice Palace, you are actually inside the glacier.

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 June 2017 at 2:18:48 #865975

Thank you alpenrose for your nice pictorial suggestion. It explains every thing.

Do you suggest to go to Saas fee from interlaken for a day trip? How much time it will take to reach there? What can be the means of transport and how much will be the fare?

Can you please tell me the one way cable car fare from wengen to manllichen?

thanks a lot alpenrose for helping people out to make their plan smooth.

Best regards

Zihan

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 June 2017 at 6:18:52 #865976

>> Do you suggest to go to Saas fee from interlaken for a day trip? How much time it will take to reach there?

If you are only in Interlaken for 2 days, I would suggest you confine your sightseeing to the Jungfrau Region, as there is so much to see and do there. However, a daytrip to Saas-Fee is possible.

The trip from Interlaken to Saas-Fee takes about 2 hours each way. Saas-Fee is a very pretty village to explore on foot. However, if you want to go up on any of the cable cars/gondolas, that can take quite a lot of time, as you first have to walk to the cable car/gondola station, and they are quite spread out in different parts of the village. Then you have the travel time up to the top and back, and time spent at the top. They cease operating around 4pm or so.

The gondola closest to the Saas-Fee village centre is the one up to the Hannigalp (altitude 2,350 metres). It’s a 10-minute trip to the top, where you can see a marmot colony adjacent to the restaurant, and there is a beautiful view over Saas-Fee. There would not be snow up there in July.

I recently posted some photos taken on the Hannigalp, in my post of Jun 27, 2017 – 5:29 AM on the following page:

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/bettmeralp-or-saas-grund

As I mentioned above, it takes a while to walk to the cable car valley stations in Saas-Fee. A quicker cable car to get to, that takes you up to an altitude of 3,142 metres, is the one that goes from Saas-Grund to Hohsaas. You pass through Saas-Grund on the way to or from Saas-Fee. (Saas-Fee is on a plateau above Saas-Grund.) The gondola valley station for the Hohsaas gondola is quite close to the PostBus stop called “Saas-Grund, Bergbahnen”.

The trip from Saas-Grund up to Hohsaas takes about 25 minutes. At about the 12 minute mark, you change gondolas at the mid-station Kreuzboden.

>> What can be the means of transport and how much will be the fare?

To get to Saas-Fee from Interlaken, you take a train to Brig or Visp, then the PostBus #511 the rest of the way. Saas-Fee is the end of the line. The return fare for one adult would be CHF 127.20, but it is free with the Swiss Travel Pass.

>> Can you please tell me the one way cable car fare from wengen to manllichen?

CHF 23.

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 June 2017 at 22:04:28 #865977

What is the internet data package system for europe?I will travel france, spain,switzerland,italy and greece. I want to use one sim and avail internet in every country.What will be the reasonable way to do so?

Thank you.

Arno
    15483 posts
    1 July 2017 at 7:30:11 #865978

Hi Zihan,

The option we’ve tested can be found here: myswissalps.com/ simcard. A portable hotspot is very convenient as you don’t have to replace your SIM and it is designed to share one connection thourgh multiple devices. See “Alternative for the rest of Europe” on that page. If you prefer a SIM card you can take a look at http://www.simlystore.com/en/ buy-prepaid-sim-card/europe-prepaid-data-sim-card-10-gb.html, but it does not include Greece and Spain.

• The thread ‘How to find glacier in Eigergletscher?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.