How to find out the price of a Swiss rail ticket?

• stevemcdonald
    Participant
    42 posts
    25 February 2020 at 16:47:43 #825346

I downloaded your Excel file for comparing various discount rail cards and started using it. In your online instructions, Step 2 says to find the current full-fare ticket prices by clicking the link for the timetable – that brings me to a page where I input my rail trip (Basel-Zermatt on July 13, 2020 at 10AM). The search then opens another page that has the various choices and prices – so far, great. Then I notice I must have done something previously, maybe on my SBB phone app, where I input that there would be two of traveling, both seniors with Half-Fare card. Since I wanted the full fare price, I clicked the little “person” traveler icon at the top, removed one traveler and then clicked on the Discount Cards link to remove the Half-Fare Card selection, Clicked Save and then clicked the “Let’s Go” button. The result was half the previous price (since there was now only one traveler), but the details stated one senior traveler, no discount card. So I again clicked the traveler button, made sure that the Half-Fare card was deselected, clicked Let’s Go and then got the same result! Clicked the traveler button again, this time I did select the Half-Fare card, Saved that, but when I clicked Let’s Go I again got the same result! It was as if the Half-Fare Card made no difference! What am I missing???

Thanks in advance, your website keeps getting better and I’ve been using it and the newsletter for our two previous trips, 2012 & 2016, and the one we are planning for July!

Steve

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    25 February 2020 at 19:55:48 #930839

Hello steve,

I’ve never seen something that says “Let’s go” in the SBB mobile app. Maybe you are talking about a website I am not familiar with?

Have a look at http://www.myswissalps.com/forum/topic/checking-train-timetables.

stevemcdonald
    Participant
    42 posts
    25 February 2020 at 20:59:20 #930840

Thanks for replying! I see your tips all the time. So here’s what I did – first start with this page http://www.myswissalps.com/timetable and put in a trip, like the one in the attached file 1.jpg. When you click Search, you are taken to a page that looks like the picture in the attached 2.jpg, which is a HappyRail site I think. One weird thing is that although I put in for travel on July 13, this page says July 12 – I can change that though by going up to the date field in the top bar. But the first thing to note is that on the right side it says the fares are for a Senior (60+) and evidently no discount card applied. So I can click on that little “personal profile” button on the right of the top bar (just to the left of the “Let’s Go” button) and you can change the personal info. If you click on the “Discount Cards” link, you get a list like in attached 3.jpg, and if you scroll down you can check the Half-Fare Card box (which I show having done that) and then Click the “Save” button. Now you return to the trip page and click the “Let’s Go” button to recalculate the fares with the Half-Fare Card invoked. When I do that I get what is in attached 4.jpg. Note that the fares are the same as in 2.jpg, but now it does say on the right side that the traveler is a senior with a Half-Fare card.

So as far as I can see I followed the myswissalps instructions for getting fare prices on http://www.myswissalps.com/timetable but can’t seem to get a good answer! I do have the SBB Mobile App, and I put in the same trip, found the same trip choices, but I couldn’t figure out how to get the prices. When I click Purchase Tickets, it just says not available! Maybe you can tell me how to work it that way??

stevemcdonald
    Participant
    42 posts
    25 February 2020 at 21:22:28 #930841

So I did an Advanced Search from the timetable page, which actually takes you to the SBB website. When I put the July Basel-Zermatt trip in it actually says that it’s out of the date range, so it couldn’t give me prices. I had to put the date in March to get prices. So does anybody know how far in advance I can look at prices in order to decide which pass I should get? Not sure whether some of these prices are seasonal ….

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    25 February 2020 at 21:24:10 #930842

Ok the first thing to do is stop using the basic search.

Second thing is that if you don’t see prices in the SBB app OR the SBB timetable then just choose a date closer to your travel time (within 2 months). The SBB app is by far the easiest solution in my experience.

Full fare prices and timetables are fixed for the whole year.

Hope that helps.

stevemcdonald
    Participant
    42 posts
    25 February 2020 at 21:50:47 #930843

Thanks Rockoyster, helps a lot! I figured that out about spoofing the date, but I’m glad to hear that the prices are fixed. I think I got it now! Just hoping for sunny weather in Zermatt in the middle of July – just rained the last time we were there June 2012.

• The thread ‘How to find out the price of a Swiss rail ticket?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.