How to find the cost of panoramic train tickets

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 November 2017 at 3:53:07 #813603

Hi! I can ‘dummy book’ the ordinary train fares, but am struggling to find out what the cost of the Golden Pass and Gotthard train would be without a Swiss Pass. It is making it tricky for me to decide whether half price card of full Swiss card would be our best option. I understand it is necessary to make a reservation on the Gotthard, not sure about the Golden Pass. I think Im being a bit overwhelmed with so many great things to see! Thank you

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    3 November 2017 at 4:41:12 #871490

Hi Mittens,

Just use the “dummy book” approach. You’ll find the prices for those routes on the SBB Timetable same as “regular” trains.

Reservations are recommended on the Golden Pass (MOB Panoramic or MOB Belle Epoque trains) between Zweisimmen and Montreux. But not mandatory. Late August is still quite touristy so probably best.

Reservations on the Gotthard Panorama Express only cover the train between Lugano and Flüelen. You can’t reserve seats on the steamer between Flüelen and Luzern.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 November 2017 at 5:51:56 #871491

Thank you Rockoyster, perhaps it is because it is too early to show prices for August. I will persist in ‘dummy’ (so appropriate in my case} booking!

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    3 November 2017 at 6:01:07 #871492

This might help for the Gotthard Panorama. http://www.sbb.ch/en/leisure-holidays/travel-in-switzerland/panorama-trips/travelling-gotthard-panorama-express.html Click on the “Offers/Prices”.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 November 2017 at 6:04:36 #871493

You are a champion Rockoyster! Thank you

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 November 2017 at 7:44:32 #871494

Hi Mittens,

You mention a Swiss Pass and a Swiss Card on your first post….just for clarity for other members reading this post I assume you are talking about the Swiss Travel Pass in both instances?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 November 2017 at 10:10:12 #871495

I am talking about a Swiss Travel Pass. Sorry about that! I am keen on finding out the best option…..Half or Full. Hope that makes sense. We want to do gentle walks…as well as make the most out of travel on the train. Don’t want to rush from train to train just to make our trip cost effective…. Our travel has always been to stay a few days somewhere and get to know the area- see it in more detail.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 November 2017 at 12:26:59 #871496

Hi Mittens,

The only way to know which rail pass is the most economical for you is to plan out your trips by rail, boat, cable car etc. and do the math to compare the costs.

We have a page on how to choose the best rail pass, that can help you with the math and other details (an excel sheet is there to help).

The Swiss Travel Pass is by far the simplest option as you usually don’t have to buy any tickets – just hop on go (some exceptions to this are mountain excursions where you have to buy a ticket – at a discount).

Cheers!

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    4 November 2017 at 4:06:14 #871497

Hi Mittens

Here’s a bit more marketing stuff on the Gotthard Panorama Express for 2018 – http://www.mystsnet.com/en/pr oducts-services/swiss-travel-system/premium-panoramic-trains/gotthard-panorama-express/

• The thread ‘How to find the cost of panoramic train tickets’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.