How to find the cost of panoramic train tickets

How to find the cost of panoramic train tickets

Share this page on Facebook Share this page on Google+ Share this page on Twitter Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
Mittens
Mittens
15 posts
Nov 3, 2017 - 3:53 AM

Hi! I can 'dummy book' the ordinary train fares, but am struggling to find out what the cost of the Golden Pass and Gotthard train would be without a Swiss Pass. It is making it tricky for me to decide whether half price card of full Swiss card would be our best option. I understand it is necessary to make a reservation on the Gotthard, not sure about the Golden Pass. I think Im being a bit overwhelmed with so many great things to see! Thank you

rockoyster
rockoyster
1020 posts
top member
Nov 3, 2017 - 4:41 AM in reply to Mittens

Hi Mittens,

Just use the "dummy book" approach. You'll find the prices for those routes on the SBB Timetable same as "regular" trains.

Reservations are recommended on the Golden Pass (MOB Panoramic or MOB Belle Epoque trains) between Zweisimmen and Montreux. But not mandatory. Late August is still quite touristy so probably best.

Reservations on the Gotthard Panorama Express only cover the train between Lugano and Flüelen. You can't reserve seats on the steamer between Flüelen and Luzern.

Last modified on Nov 3, 2017 - 4:43 AM by rockoyster
Mittens
Mittens
15 posts
Nov 3, 2017 - 5:51 AM

Thank you Rockoyster, perhaps it is because it is too early to show prices for August. I will persist in 'dummy' (so appropriate in my case} booking!

rockoyster
rockoyster
1020 posts
top member
Nov 3, 2017 - 6:01 AM in reply to Mittens

This might help for the Gotthard Panorama. www.sbb.ch/en/leisure-holidays/travel-in-switzerland/panorama-trips/travelling-gotthard-panorama-express.html Click on the "Offers/Prices".

Mittens
Mittens
15 posts
Nov 3, 2017 - 6:04 AM

You are a champion Rockoyster! Thank you

Lucas
Lucas
3460 posts
expert &
Nov 3, 2017 - 7:44 AM in reply to Mittens

Hi Mittens,

You mention a Swiss Pass and a Swiss Card on your first post....just for clarity for other members reading this post I assume you are talking about the Swiss Travel Pass in both instances?

Last modified on Nov 3, 2017 - 7:44 AM by Lucas
Mittens
Mittens
15 posts
Nov 3, 2017 - 10:10 AM

I am talking about a Swiss Travel Pass. Sorry about that! I am keen on finding out the best option.....Half or Full. Hope that makes sense. We want to do gentle walks...as well as make the most out of travel on the train. Don't want to rush from train to train just to make our trip cost effective.... Our travel has always been to stay a few days somewhere and get to know the area- see it in more detail.

Lucas
Lucas
3460 posts
expert &
Nov 3, 2017 - 12:26 PM in reply to Mittens

Hi Mittens,

The only way to know which rail pass is the most economical for you is to plan out your trips by rail, boat, cable car etc. and do the math to compare the costs.

We have a page on how to choose the best rail pass, that can help you with the math and other details (an excel sheet is there to help).

The Swiss Travel Pass is by far the simplest option as you usually don't have to buy any tickets - just hop on go (some exceptions to this are mountain excursions where you have to buy a ticket - at a discount).

Cheers!

Last modified on Nov 3, 2017 - 12:28 PM by Lucas
rockoyster
rockoyster
1020 posts
top member
Nov 4, 2017 - 4:06 AM in reply to Mittens

Hi Mittens

Here's a bit more marketing stuff on the Gotthard Panorama Express for 2018 - www.mystsnet.com/en/pr oducts-services/swiss-travel-system/premium-panoramic-trains/gotthard-panorama-express/

More about Swiss trains and rail passes

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2017