How to get back into Switzerland from Tirano

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 May 2019 at 11:37:40 #821737

Hi

I’m looking doing at the Bernina Express in winter from Chur to Tirano. Once it ends in Tirano we will need to make our way back into Switzerland.

Can you clever people suggest any ways that don’t repeat too much of the route the train has just used to come in? I’m trying to end up somewhere back in Switzerland that is scenic, with good connections in/out.

I hope my question makes sense.

Thank you.

Polly

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    20 May 2019 at 21:24:38 #912842

Hello Polly and Welcome to MySwissAlps,

You can either return the way you came or continue to Lugano on the Bernina Express Bus or take a train to Milan and go from there to Lugano or Zermatt. Bit hard to make sensible suggestions without knowing more about your overall itinerary and where you have already been or plan to continue on to.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 May 2019 at 0:01:35 #912843

Not really possible.

The Bernina railway runs down a narrow ‘finger’ of Swiss territory with high mountains either side

Going both ways on the Bernina is not boring – you will see different things from different angles, and it’s much better not to stray outside Swiss territory so you can stay on the very efficient Swiss transport network.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 May 2019 at 4:22:40 #912844

Thank you.

The overall plan for Switzerland is unclear at this stage mainly because I got so stuck with this Tirano business. Your lovely replies at least confirm what I had suspected, that you either repeat the route back or route yourself through to Lugano by bus.

I’m thinking that in terms moving us across the country, while seeing scenery that we’d be better to do the Glacier Express from St Moritz so we finish in Zermatt.

Things to ponder!

Thank you so much

Lynda
    Participant
    26 posts
    21 May 2019 at 10:07:57 #912845

I agree with the continuation to Lugano. Stay overnight in Tirano at one of the Palazzo’s and go further the following day. Florence is very close too.

• The thread ‘How to get back into Switzerland from Tirano’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.