How to get from Appenzell to Säntis cable car

• Swede4life
    Participant
    120 posts
    8 March 2021 at 22:26:44 #825794

Hi, I cannot get a good fix on how to get from Appenzell to the Santis Cable Car and back this Summer. We will have the Swiss Travel Pass Flex. It seems that it takes over an hour to just get to Santis and also requires train/bus changes. Even though by car it seems to be only 20 minutes. What am I not understanding? Thanks. Larry

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Anna
    6382 posts
    9 March 2021 at 6:58:56 #934761

Hi Swede4life,

I did a quick check on the SBB timetable and the fastest connection from Appenzell to the Säntis Cable Car station takes about 45 minutes. This includes the 15 mins train ride to Urnäsch, then taking the postbus from Urnäsch to Schwägalp, where the cable car station is located. Taking a car would get you there faster of course but you do need to think about parking and how to navigate the roads.

Regards,

Anna

Swede4life
    Participant
    120 posts
    9 March 2021 at 11:45:47 #934762

Ok. Thank you.

EigerTyger
    Participant
    22 posts
    9 March 2021 at 13:47:34 #934763

Hi Swede4life,

We took the train/bus trip 2 years ago. It was a pleasant, smooth journey (as all Swiss connections seem to be). We were there the first weekend after the gondola opened for the first time after being damaged by an avalanche . At Urnäsch, there is a delightful little petting zoo area right beside the train stop that is very entertaining and just down the street is the local museum with some great area displays.

Regards,

Eiger Tyger

• The thread ‘How to get from Appenzell to Säntis cable car’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.