How to get from Bern to the top of Jungfraujoch

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 June 2018 at 22:42:32 #816547

Hey everyone! I am from the US and this is my first time to be staying in Europe and I am so excited to be going to Switzerland!

We have a short amount of time in Switzerland. My fiancé and I will be arrive in Bern on August 12th at 11:57AM and leave August 14th at 1:34PM. So August 13th is our whole day to do this!

I have to say I am confused about trains! I haven’t ridden one yet and need to know stop-for-stop how to get from Bern to Jungfraujoch, ride to the top, and back to Bern. Do I buy all tickets in advance? Do I buy my ticket up Jungfraujoch in advance? If I don’t buy in advance–can you map me out my city stops. What time do you think it would be best for us to head out in the morning? (We are going to do this pretty much regardless of weather. What is it even like up there in August?)

Should I get a Half-Fare pass for one day of traveling?

Thank you for all the help. I don’t even know if I’m asking the right questions. I feel silly for asking all these questions but I have been pouring over the internet for days and am still so confused!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 June 2018 at 23:23:40 #887864

Jungfraujoch will be very expensive, but getting pass for one day in Switzerland won’t really work.

The route is:

Federal main line railway train:

Bern – Interlaken Ost (last stop on the train – do not get off at the first Interlaken station Interlaken West)

narrow gauge mountain train:

(beware this is three separate railways but the trains all connect – so just follow the signs and the crowds. If in doubt ask in English) Interlaken Ost – Lauterbrunnen – Wengen – Kleine Scheidegg – Jungfraujoch. To give extra scenery, it is best to come back the other way* which is Jungfraujoch – Kleine Scheidegg – Grindelwald – Interlaken Ost

* Note – this is because there are two ways up to the col at Kleine Scheidegg – you can see a graphic showing this here:

http://www.okthepk.ca/publicA rchive/200910jungfraub ahnen/mapBahnen.htm

Return on federal railway train Interlaken Ost – Bern

Gunzel
    Participant
    241 posts
    9 June 2018 at 23:45:16 #887865

A very pleasant day trip from Bern.

Easily done and all the advice is on this site.

Enjoy your travels!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 June 2018 at 7:37:22 #887866

Hi Katherine S and welcome to MySwissAlps!

The Swiss railways timetable will map out the route for you. Simply enter Bern and Jungfraujoch onto/from and your date and time (I’d head out first thing in the morning). https://www.myswissalp s.com/timetable

If you are going regardless of the weather (we’ll cross our fingers for you) then you can buy tickets online here: https://www.myswissalp s.com/jungfraujoch/tic kets. A ticket will guarantee you get on the train to Jungfraujoch once you are at Wengen or Grindelwald that day but won’t guarantee you a time (which is fine I think).

A Swiss Half Fare Card might save you a little money overall. From Bern you are looking at 268chf round trip. With the 1/2 fare card it will be 134 +120chf for the card itself = 254chf 🙂

And any other trips around Bern (and getting to Bern from wherever you enter Switzerland) will be 1/2 price too (even local bus/tram).

You can buy the Swiss Half Fare Card here (https://www.myswissalp s.com/swisshalffarecar d/price) and have it emailed to you to print at home (so it is on you when you arrive in Switzerland and you can always print it again in case you lose it).

• The thread ‘How to get from Bern to the top of Jungfraujoch’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11020 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.