How to get from Swiss train station to hotel?

• amrick
    Participant
    8 posts
    30 June 2022 at 7:36:33 #827651

Hello!

My husband and I are planning to use the Swiss Travel Pass to get around the greater part of Switzerland but what are our options when we arrive at a train station and need to get to our hotels with our luggage to check in and drop off our luggage before we begin exploring an area?

I’m not sure if all our hotels are walking distance from the train station so I’m wondering if there are options like taxi or uber to make quick trips from the train station to hotel or hotel to train station. Are there buses that usually go from train station to hotels?

Below is the list where we are staying.

I know in Zurich, I can probably grab a taxi from the train station to Widder hotel but not sure about the other cities/areas.

Thank you for any insight and knowledge. 🙂

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 June 2022 at 10:22:04 #943812

Hi Amrick!

There is Uber in Zurich for sure and maybe in Lucerne. I do not think that there is Uber in the other places as they are smaller towns. You can still use cabs, although it will be quite pricey.

Usually people use the public transport system, as the Swiss public system is quite good and efficient.

In Zermatt you can ask your hotel whether they provide a shuttle from the train station – some of the hotels do.

Have a look at these pages, they might help you a bit:

Ildiko

amrick
    Participant
    8 posts
    30 June 2022 at 19:49:31 #943813

Thank you for such a prompt reply. These links are quite helpful and what a great idea. I will email my hotels asking how far it is to walk with luggage from the train station to hotel and if it’s too far, do they provide a shuttle.

We plan to use public transport when not using the rail but not sure if buses will take us even closer to the hotels or not. I’ll reach out to learn more.

Thank you!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 June 2022 at 21:52:34 #943814

If you have a Swiss Travel Pass, all public transport is free. Therefore in laregr towns and cities you can usually get a local bus to the hotel.

European online timetables and travel planners list even local bus stops, so if you ask your hotel for the nearest bus or tram stop you can then put that into an online timetable search.

Don’t forget that online maps also show bus stop names and hotels so you can find the name of the nearest public transport stop for yourself.

I looked at your Zurich hotel as an example:

The nearest transit stop to the Widder is Rennweg, a short tram ride from Zurich HB followed by a short walk, although G***gle maps says it is only an 8 minute walk so it is probably not worth using the tram

Anna
    6355 posts
    1 July 2022 at 6:34:10 #943815

Hi amrick,

Art Deco Montana, Lucerne and Matterhorn Focus, Zermatt do offer shuttle service to/from the train station. Giardino Mountain also provides train station pick-up service. Be sure to make prior arrangements with your hotels.

And Bergwelt Grindelwald is only a few minutes walk from the the Grindelwald train station. You can use the SBB timetable to look up the map, as pointed out by 1960man.

Regards,

Anna

amrick
    Participant
    8 posts
    4 July 2022 at 19:17:09 #943816

Yes, we’ll have the swiss travel pass so when not using the rail, we will use public transport and I forgot that they are free! Thank you for the reminder. I will also take advantage of any of the free shuttles that the hotel provides and if must, a taxi. I’ll also use the SBB timetable.

This is all SO SO helpful. Much appreciated.

• The thread ‘How to get from Swiss train station to hotel?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.