How to buy a one-way ticket in Switzerland

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 July 2018 at 20:36:43 #817160

Hello,

Typo above–> how to work with one way tickets:

Thank to everyone for their advice! My itinerary is set except for one thing.

I made the mistake of buying a 4 day consecutive instead of 8 day without calculating which would be cheaper.

I am staying for 5 days in Switzerland and made the incorrect assumption that 4 days cpns pass and then purchasing a one way would be cheaper. I used so much time planning out the itinerary and calculating the difference among half fare and travel pass and berneses oberland pass that I didn;t do the complete calculation once I made the decision for the travel pass. Everyone please make sure you make ALL calculations before purchasing.

Now that I have to buy a one way ticket from Wengen to Zurich airport, how does this work?

If I purchse on line now (we leave July 18), can I print these tickets?

If there are 3 trains are there 3 tickets?

Since I am committed to those time tickets, what if there is a delay and we miss one connection?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    8 July 2018 at 21:52:46 #890769

You just need a ticket from Wengen to Zurich Airport. It is valid for 24 hours and you can break the journey anywhere. Buy on line via SBB Timetable (http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable) or SBB mobile app if you have it. Tickets don’t sell out so just as easy to buy once in Switzerland.

You could consider Saver Day Pass (http://www.myswissalps.com/on edaytravelpass/details) and bit.ly/2rkekat if you can still get one for CHF 52.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 July 2018 at 12:00:50 #890770

Hi Edlr4ma,

Indeed you can buy online if you like here: https://www.myswissalp s.com/traintickets or buy at Zurich airport. It would just be one ticket for the trip, regardless of how many connections may be needed.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 July 2018 at 13:15:43 #890771

Thanks again,

I tried using my app, but I cannot purchase 7 tickets ( family 4 audlts, 1 youth and 2 children)

I can only buy 1, or do I purchase 1 at a time?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 July 2018 at 18:13:27 #890772

OK, I just purchased supersaver pass, and it came out hundreds of USD cheaper! Thanks for your suggestions!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 July 2018 at 3:50:25 #890773

>> I tried using my app, but I cannot purchase 7 tickets ( family 4 audlts, 1 youth and 2 children) I can only buy 1, or do I purchase 1 at a time?

You have probably worked this out for yourself by now, but the process for buying tickets for other people in the SBB App is to “edit travelers” in the ticket options.

http://www.sbb.ch/en/timetabl e/mobile-apps/sbb-mobile/faq.html

>> I just purchased supersaver pass

There is no such thing as a supersaver pass. You have probably bought either

• a Supersaver ticket – valid for a particular departure only. If you miss the train, you need to buy a new ticket; or
    • a Saver Day Pass (valid for the whole day). Make sure you have purchased the version that is valid without a Swiss Half Fare Card (more expensive than the ones for passengers who have the Swiss Half Fare Card).

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 July 2018 at 11:30:57 #890774

Yes, I bought a supersaver ticket, I have to take those specific trains. I hope all goes well, bev=cause I did save a lot of money purchasing this type of ticket.

I will keep in mind the way to purchase on the app, just in case.

Thanks again!

• The thread ‘How to buy a one-way ticket in Switzerland’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.