How to get Swiss family card for my 5 yr old kid

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 August 2017 at 9:15:56 #812851

Hi ,

I would like to understand how do i get Swiss family card for my 5 yrs old kid.

We are family of 4 adults and 1 kid who is 5 yrs old.

all 4 adults will purchase swiss travel card during our trip to swiss.

As i m aware that 5 yr old kid travel for free in swiss but certain special trains do charge them half price (ex. Bernina express) if we would like to reserve seat for them. But surprisingly kids (6-15yrs) old will get free family card and they dont need to pay that half ticket price on special trains and only require to pay the reservation price..

So i would like to know if it is possible to get swiss family travel pass for my 5 yr old kid , as i want my kid to have his own seat during these travels and its very hard to adjust for the whole day trips with kids on lap(which is free ).

Please help me on this at the earliest as i need to book all my reservations and my traveling dates are from sep2 to sep7 in swiss.

Thanks in advance

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 August 2017 at 12:40:01 #867903

Hi soupati and welcome to MySwissAlps!

Yes, we had another member with this same issue and have asked them what happened on their trip (they were going to contact Rhb directly to inquire. We are waiting to see if they will let us know on their old post here. We’ll let you know what we hear – you could also try contacting them directly as under 6 year-olds should be free on all Swiss trains.

If you want any child to have a seat on the train they will have to make reservations in the end – it is just the ticket that should be free.

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 August 2017 at 6:54:30 #867904

Hi soupati,

We heard back from our other member – read through his reply on my link above. 🙂

They agreed that there is a problem in their website regarding children below 6 and seat reservations Essentially you must do one of two things:

1. You can book offline through them and collect the reservations at the rail station or
    2. You can book online and increase your child age to above 6. In both the cases family card will be accepted as reduction and no ticket for the child is required to get his own seat.

I hope this sorts it out for you. 🙂 I hope they fix their website soon!

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 August 2017 at 15:33:38 #867905

Dear Lucas,

Thanks a lot and this info really helps .

• The thread ‘How to get Swiss family card for my 5 yr old kid’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.