How to get to Jungfraujoch from Grindelwald?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 December 2017 at 14:05:45 #813888

Hi All,

I understand that to go Jungfrajoch, I can take a train from Luzern – Interlaken – Grindelwald.

From Grindewald, do I take another train to Kleine Scheidegg? if yes, may I ask the following,

1) Where to buy train tickets from Grindewald to Kleine Scheidegg?

2) From Kleine Scheidegg to Jungfrajoch, is this the cog wheel to bring you up? if yes, where can I buy the tickets?

Thank you.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 December 2017 at 14:49:12 #873301

Hi Andrewchsg and welcome to MySwissAlps!

1. You can buy train tickets at Grindelwald train station for whole trip to Jungfraujoch (the train departs from Grindelwald Grund). You can also buy them online here – but be careful about the weather you don’t want to be stuck going on a day where the weather is poor and there is no visibility
    2. Still the train – you would buy the ticket from Grindelwald to Jungfraujoch – no need for separate tickets
    Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 December 2017 at 4:16:56 #873302

Hi Lucas,

Thank you for your reply!! 🙂

If I go online to buy tickets to Jungfraujoch, I am afraid that the weather might be a problem on the day which I’ve fixed on the tickets.. If I buy the tickets at Grindelwald train station on the day itself, would it be more expensive and subject to availability?

Thank you.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 December 2017 at 8:23:09 #873303

The prices are the same regardless of where or when you buy them. I agree you should either buy them the day of travel at Grindelwald or if you buy online make sure it isn’t for a fixed date.

Availability isn’t an issue – sometimes in the summer there can be a wait due to lines for the train but at this time of year it shouldn’t be an issue.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 December 2017 at 14:19:06 #873304

Thanks Lucas! you been helpful 🙂

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 December 2017 at 15:54:26 #873305

Hi Lucas, sorry but may I ask a side question please.

Can I use Euro instead of CHF in Switzerland?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 December 2017 at 16:26:49 #873306

Hi Andrew, no worries!

Sometimes you can – at train stations, larger restaurants and a few other shops in larger towns. You will always be given change in CHF and the exchange rate won’t be good.

I’d stop at an ATM and withdraw CHF when you enter the country (train station or airport). Some shops and restaurants don’t accept credit cards here either.

http://www.myswissalps.com/sw issfranc

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    31 December 2017 at 2:43:54 #873307

Hi Andrew,

>> I understand that to go Jungfrajoch, I can take a train from Luzern – Interlaken – Grindelwald. From Grindewald, do I take another train to Kleine Scheidegg?

There is a circular route up to and back from the Jungfraujoch. You can go up via Grindelwald and down via Wengen and Lauterbrunnen (or vice versa).

I have attached a diagram that might help you visualise both routes. Most people go up one way and down the other, as each route has very different scenery – all of which is dramatically beautiful.

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 January 2018 at 8:11:14 #873308

Thanks Lucas!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 January 2018 at 8:11:51 #873309

Thanks Alpenrose!!

• The thread ‘How to get to Jungfraujoch from Grindelwald?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.