How to get to Jungfraujoch from Grindelwald?

How to get to Jungfraujoch from Grindelwald?

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
andrewchsg
andrewchsg
8 posts
Dec 28, 2017 - 2:05 PM

Hi All,

I understand that to go Jungfrajoch, I can take a train from Luzern - Interlaken - Grindelwald.

From Grindewald, do I take another train to Kleine Scheidegg? if yes, may I ask the following,

1) Where to buy train tickets from Grindewald to Kleine Scheidegg?

2) From Kleine Scheidegg to Jungfrajoch, is this the cog wheel to bring you up? if yes, where can I buy the tickets?

Thank you.

Lucas
Lucas
7238 posts
expert &
Dec 28, 2017 - 2:49 PM in reply to andrewchsg

Hi Andrewchsg and welcome to MySwissAlps!

1. You can buy train tickets at Grindelwald train station for whole trip to Jungfraujoch (the train departs from Grindelwald Grund). You can also buy them online here - but be careful about the weather you don't want to be stuck going on a day where the weather is poor and there is no visibility
  2. Still the train - you would buy the ticket from Grindelwald to Jungfraujoch - no need for separate tickets
Last modified on Dec 28, 2017 - 2:49 PM by Lucas
andrewchsg
andrewchsg
8 posts
Dec 29, 2017 - 4:16 AM in reply to Lucas

Hi Lucas,

Thank you for your reply!! :)

If I go online to buy tickets to Jungfraujoch, I am afraid that the weather might be a problem on the day which I've fixed on the tickets.. If I buy the tickets at Grindelwald train station on the day itself, would it be more expensive and subject to availability?

Thank you.

Lucas
Lucas
7238 posts
expert &
Dec 29, 2017 - 8:23 AM in reply to andrewchsg

The prices are the same regardless of where or when you buy them. I agree you should either buy them the day of travel at Grindelwald or if you buy online make sure it isn't for a fixed date.

Availability isn't an issue - sometimes in the summer there can be a wait due to lines for the train but at this time of year it shouldn't be an issue.

andrewchsg
andrewchsg
8 posts
Dec 29, 2017 - 2:19 PM in reply to Lucas

Thanks Lucas! you been helpful :)

andrewchsg
andrewchsg
8 posts
Dec 29, 2017 - 3:54 PM

Hi Lucas, sorry but may I ask a side question please.

Can I use Euro instead of CHF in Switzerland?

Lucas
Lucas
7238 posts
expert &
Dec 29, 2017 - 4:26 PM in reply to andrewchsg

Hi Andrew, no worries!

Sometimes you can - at train stations, larger restaurants and a few other shops in larger towns. You will always be given change in CHF and the exchange rate won't be good.

I'd stop at an ATM and withdraw CHF when you enter the country (train station or airport). Some shops and restaurants don't accept credit cards here either.

www.myswissalps.com/sw issfranc

Last modified on Dec 29, 2017 - 4:51 PM by Arno
Removed user
Removed user
0 posts
Dec 31, 2017 - 2:43 AM in reply to andrewchsg

Hi Andrew,

>> I understand that to go Jungfrajoch, I can take a train from Luzern - Interlaken - Grindelwald. From Grindewald, do I take another train to Kleine Scheidegg?

There is a circular route up to and back from the Jungfraujoch. You can go up via Grindelwald and down via Wengen and Lauterbrunnen (or vice versa).

I have attached a diagram that might help you visualise both routes. Most people go up one way and down the other, as each route has very different scenery - all of which is dramatically beautiful.

Alpenrose

Last modified on Dec 31, 2017 - 6:36 PM by Arno
Please login to see the attached documents
andrewchsg
andrewchsg
8 posts
Jan 2, 2018 - 8:11 AM in reply to Lucas

Thanks Lucas!

andrewchsg
andrewchsg
8 posts
Jan 2, 2018 - 8:11 AM in reply to Removed user

Thanks Alpenrose!!

More about Swiss trains and rail passes

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2018