How to get to Mt. Pilatus on April 7?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 March 2017 at 1:13:20 #810946

Hi I will be in Switzerland on April 6-8. I will be driving from zurich to get to lake lucerne and go on the one hour cruise. My questions are as followed:

since it is april, how can I experience something like the golden round trip to get to mt.pilatus?

is it snowing and very cold if I do decide to go up to mt.pilatus in april? I am interested in all beautiful green nature plus the mountains but I am not sure if it’s very snowy at that time or not.

I was also planning on driving to lauterbraunen to see the waterfall on the same day after seeing lake lucerne and mt. Pilatus. Is that possible?

I have the full day on the 7th of april and we will arrive in zurich on the 6th around 4pm.

Do you guys have any other suggestions for seeing all the beautiful scenery ( mountains +and lakes and all the greenery) driving places?

Is it good to stop at interlaken or grinderwald?

Lastly, when driving to lauterbraunen, how easy is it to see the waterfall? Do we have to drive far.

Can we park our car at the station before getting on the boat at lucerne

Thank you.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    3 March 2017 at 13:27:46 #859557

Hi Aveen,

Thanks for joining MySwissAlps! You can’t do the Golden Round Trip as the cogwheel train only operates in summer (mid May to mid November). So there is just the cableway from Kriens to get there. Please see the Pilatus page for all details.

It will not be warm at the top, but whether it will just be chilly or quite cold can’t be predicted. If there’s sunshine it can be pleasant. You’d best check the weather forecast on the day before. There may or may not be snow on the top. There probably won’t be snow in the valley but even that is a possibility.

I would not include Lauterbrunnen on the same day. It’s not impossible but it will make for a very long day and a lot of driving in (I assume) unknown territory. Just take your time in and around Lucerne. There is a lot to see there. Personally I would take the train from Zurich, but if driving I would park at the garage of the station. It’s pricey but a convenient base to explore the town, do the boat trip, and take a bus to the cableway.

If you go to Lauterbrunnen you can park in the garage near the train station and walk to the fall from there in 15 minutes. If it’s very cold there won’t be (much) running water but in early April that probably won’t be the case. See http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rEyVW8tMo0.

Don’t bother with Interlaken, there is not much to see there. It is a good place to find souvenirs, but so is Lucerne.

Does this help you out?

• The thread ‘How to get to Mt. Pilatus on April 7?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.