How to know it”s the right time to buy my passes?

• LeVoyageur
    Participant
    58 posts
    7 January 2017 at 22:08:54 #810530

Grüezi,

I am regularly monitoring your site and other to find a good offer on the rail passes I need for my trip next summer (Swiss Travel Card Flex 15 days and a 10 days Berner Oberland Regional Pass). These days, there is a 5% discount on the Regional Pass on Happy Rail: is this the best price I can find, should I wait and hope for a better price? For the other pass, I was told by Rail Europe Canada that there is generally a promotion in January or February, is this accurate and if so, what type of discount should I consider to be a good one? So my questions is: what is a good offer!

This forum is very useful, many thanks!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15483 posts
    8 January 2017 at 8:30:14 #857865

Grüezi LeVoyageur,

It’s quite hard to answer your question, as promotions come and go unannounced, and prices also vary based on exchange rates, among other factors. The low price offered by HappyRail on myswissalps.com/region alpassberneseoberland/ price is not a discount or promotion, but they simply offer a lower price than the others. They can change their price at any time though, so for now that is a really good opportunity to save some money.

As you’ve probably seen, the Price tab and Promotions tab on any of our pass pages help you to compare prices and find promotions. We can only show what’s currently being offered. I don’t know which promotions are yet to come later this year. Rail Europe tends to have various promotions throughout the year, but that applies to all rail passes and tickets. Discounts on Swiss rail passes may or may not be a part of that.

We monitor things closely, so the best thing you can do is keep an eye on our pass pages, and subscribe to forum update e-mails, as we also post about promotions here in the forum. Then, depending on how much more time you have to decide, you could take advantage of a low price like offered by HappyRail, or wait a bit longer and hope for a good promotion.

One more thing: from my experience, if there were offers on regional passes in the past, it was for spring or fall, not for high season.

LeVoyageur
    Participant
    58 posts
    9 January 2017 at 2:37:08 #857866

Many thanks Arno! I will maintain my watch!

• The thread ‘How to know it”s the right time to buy my passes?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.