Tours for Titlis & Jungfraujoch or do on our own?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 March 2018 at 7:55:25 #814800

Hi! My husband and I are first time travellers. Planned travel dates will be on April 13 and 14, 2018. We opt to experience the Jungfraujoch and Mount Titlis for the 2 full days. Is it better if we join tours instead of DIYs considering the amount of time and the price of passes?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    16 March 2018 at 8:54:41 #878940

Hello acastro,

We don’t know where you are coming from or going to but for two days you could get a Tell Pass (http://www.myswissalps.com/te llpasswinter) and go anywhere around Lucerne (http://www.myswissalps.com/lu cerne/activities) pretty much for free thereafter (including Titlis). Jungfraujoch (http://www.myswissalps.com/ju ngfraujoch) is a very expensive trip. Especially if the weather is not good and you end up studying the inside of some clouds.

In fact I believe some hotels in Lucerne offer a 2-day Tell Pass as part of a package deal – especially in the April low season. Might be worth googling.

Switzerland is a very easy place to do DIY tours due to the fantastic public transport.

But there are many options – I am just giving you something to think about.

Arno
    15483 posts
    18 March 2018 at 10:45:44 #878941

Hi Acastro012,

Both options are perfectly fine, it’s a matter of what you like best. Most people plan their own trip, others prefer a guided tour or a package for a DIY day trip. If you don’t have a rail pass and only stay for a few days, guided tours are cheaper in some cases. You can find all details, including links to tour packages, here:

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 March 2018 at 11:00:37 #878942

Thank you so much both for the replies. Actually, I am trying my best to make a DIY itinerary. We’re also decided to make our stay at least for 4 days and from my understanding, if we would like to cover both Titlis and Jungfraujoch, buying a Regional Pass- Bernese Oberland will be an advantage for us. Some activities are even free. Am I in the right track? Then from there, we’ll travel the region as much as we can for some sight seeing because we’re not an active couple for some hiking activities. We want to have some relax pace of stay. A boat trip will also be in our list and it’s nice that it’s free for the Regional Pass Bernese Oberland. We also want to check some waterfalls. Do you have some great suggestions of what waterfalls we should check? Thanks again for your time. It’s greatly appreciated.☺️

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 March 2018 at 16:55:29 #878943

Hi Acastro012,

Yes, the tickets to Jungfraujoch and Titlis are discounted with the Regional Pass – Bernese Oberland. You can see the specific discounts & what other attractions are covered fully or partially (and view a PDF map of the coverage area) here.

Lake Brienz and Lake Thun boat cruises are both free for example on that pass.

Trümmelbach Falls are a popular option, a short bus ride from Lauterbrunnen which you can do with your B.O. rail pass & there are several waterfalls in the Lauterbrunnen valley as well that you can enjoy while there.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    18 March 2018 at 19:57:23 #878944

Given the time of year you are travelling you should read this http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/gondolarail-access-to-mountains-in-aprilmay-2018.

From Lauterbrunnen a very nice circuit to do is to Grütschalp (cable car), Mürren (cogwheel train), Gimmelwald (cable car), Stechelberg (cable car), Lauterbrunnen (bus). From Mürren you can easily visit Schiltorn if you have time. In between Stechelberg and Lauterbrunnen the bus stops at the Trummelbach Falls which Lucas mentioned. Not sure if they are open mid-April though.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 March 2018 at 1:02:21 #878945

>> buying a Regional Pass- Bernese Oberland will be an advantage for us … A boat trip will also be in our list

Just though it worth mentioning that the boats on the Vierwaldstättersee (Lake Lucerne) are not covered by the Regional-Pass Bernese Oberland. In my opinion that is the most beautiful lake in the area, especially the route from Luzern all the way to Flüelen. However, the Brienzersee and Thunersee (Lakes Brienz and Thun) are also lovely, and they are indeed free with the pass.

Alpenrose

• The thread ‘Tours for Titlis & Jungfraujoch or do on our own?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.