How to pay accommodation city tax in Switzerland?

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
Rohan
Rohan
73 posts
Apr 10, 2019 - 9:29 AM

Hi All,

I have booked and pre paid for all my hotel accommodations in advance however I understand city tax needs to be paid at every hotel. Is it to be paid in cash or do they accept cards ?

What would other establishments where I would Possibly need to pay by cash mandatorily ?

I am working out the split between my currency on cash and card

Thanks

Rohan

rockoyster
rockoyster
6766 posts
expert
Apr 10, 2019 - 10:48 AM in reply to Rohan

Any City Tax should have already been included in your room rate. It certainly was when I visited Switzerland.

Maria
Maria
818 posts
top member
Apr 10, 2019 - 3:13 PM

Hi Rohan,

Please have a look at the section on tourist tax for further info: www.myswissalps.com/ac commodation/touristtax

In my experience this tax is generally charged upon check-in- or check-out but as you say separately from your booking (in case you paid for your booking in advance for instance). You can generally pay by card unless the establishment itself does not accept credit cards.

Since it tends to be small amounts, you may want to have cash ready just in case it makes it easier.

Hope this helps!

Maria.

More on MySwissAlps.com

Get a free account to plan your trip

Planning your trip is much easier with a free MySwissAlps account. Learn all about Switzerland and get in touch with us quickly if you have questions.

Learn more

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2019