How to pay accommodation city tax in Switzerland?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 April 2019 at 9:29:16 #820888

Hi All,

I have booked and pre paid for all my hotel accommodations in advance however I understand city tax needs to be paid at every hotel. Is it to be paid in cash or do they accept cards ?

What would other establishments where I would Possibly need to pay by cash mandatorily ?

I am working out the split between my currency on cash and card

Thanks

Rohan

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    10 April 2019 at 10:48:58 #908973

Any City Tax should have already been included in your room rate. It certainly was when I visited Switzerland.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 April 2019 at 15:13:06 #908974

Hi Rohan,

Please have a look at the section on tourist tax for further info: http://www.myswissalps.com/ac commodation/touristtax

In my experience this tax is generally charged upon check-in- or check-out but as you say separately from your booking (in case you paid for your booking in advance for instance). You can generally pay by card unless the establishment itself does not accept credit cards.

Since it tends to be small amounts, you may want to have cash ready just in case it makes it easier.

Hope this helps!

Maria.

• The thread ‘How to pay accommodation city tax in Switzerland?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.