How to plan a 3 day trip in Zurich effectively

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 November 2017 at 20:24:34 #813715

I have 3 day trip scheduled to Zurich

scheduled to be landed at Zurich Airport at 12.30 PM on 24th November.

return from Zurich on 27th November at 7.00 PM

I am travelling with my wife and 8 year old daughter

my plan to visit Zurich, Luzern and Interlaken – not sure within this time can cover all?

I haven’t booked my ticket yet. should I book one hotel in Zurich and return every night from Lucerne/Interlaken? or every night stay in each place? which one is convenient? ( remember, family trip with luggage’s)

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 November 2017 at 9:04:56 #872262

Hi Sapay and welcome to MySwissAlps!

Do you have ideas on what you want to see and do in Zurich, Interlaken or Luzern? Why had you picked those towns?

For a 3 night stay I would recommend only staying in 1 town and not moving around. I would not recommend that town be Zurich though. Luzern would be my choice or perhaps Interlaken or other town in the Jungfrau area like Lauterbrunnen (better train connections than other, smaller towns like Wengen as you are on a short trip, but closer to the mountains than Interlaken).

Click the links above to read more about the towns and what you can do nearby. Let us know if you have further questions as well.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 November 2017 at 11:52:29 #872263

Dear Lucas,

thanks for your quick, prompt and detailed reply. Answering to your questions,

1. what I want to see : my main focus in Switzerland is to see beautiful swiz villages, train journey through the landscapes, and mountain too (in order). since days are very limited, I do not make museums etc.. are priority however if something on the way falls, then happy to explore

2. Why I picked Zurich, Interlaken and Luzren : Zurich is definitely in the list, why ? that’s the only other city in Swiz known to me apart from Geneva and Benn. Since my target was to see the villages, Luzern and Interlaken proposed by a friend. (if you propose more sensible place, I am OK to change my plan – as no hotel booked yet)

3. Where to stay : I am happy to take your advise not to stay in Zurich. if I pick Luzern to stay, then you recommend I stay there for whole 3 nights and use train to go other places on day time?

4. Inside Travel plan : what would be the best itinerary from 24th 13:00 till 27th 16:00 (as my flight is at 18:25). ?

thanks

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 November 2017 at 16:15:44 #872264

Wherever you decide to stay I would do so for all three nights – if you really want to split it between 2 towns you could though – up to you.

Sorry but we don’t create itineraries here. But once you have read through our web pages and created your own itinerary we all would be happy to help you fine tune it and make changes if needed.

If you want to focus on mountain scenery for all three days I would recommend either Wengen, Lauterbrunnen, Grindelwald or Murren – you can’t go wrong with any of them. Lauterbrunnen will have the easiest connections to get out of the area if you want to try a day elsewhere like Luzern.

Please do note that some mountains are closed now temporarily for maintenance (you’re in between seasons in November so fewer tourists. Schilthorn for example is closed until Dec.8. Jungfraujoch is open and of course. If you want to go up to more mountains, Luzern is a better option at the moment.

Use the timetable to plan out trips between towns and nearby mountain tops.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 November 2017 at 13:32:30 #872265

Thanks Lucas once again. I will go with lauterbrunen to stay 3 days and I will manage the trips from there. Is it direct train from Zurich to there? Do you suggest any hotel? I look for 4 star

tbanks

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 November 2017 at 17:33:30 #872266

Hi Sapay,

No direct trains no. You can use the Swiss railways timetable here to plan all your trips. Zurich to Lauterbrunnen will require at least 2 changes (depending on the train you take) and about 2.5 hours.

We have a list of recommended hotels listed on our Lauterbrunnen page here. I don’t have any 4 star recommendations unfortunately – the Hotel Silberhorn is the closest I think.

• The thread ‘How to plan a 3 day trip in Zurich effectively’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.